New Fishkeeper - Stocking A 55L Cube Tank (Aquanano 40)

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

the_lock_man said:
Hi Mack, it could be that it's just taking a while - it often takes a week for ammonia to start dropping, but obviously in your case, it's longer than that. Test your pH - if it's low, then please raise it with baking soda (not baking powder) little by little, until the pH reaches 8.2. The other thing you can do is to get hold of some media from someone else's mature tank - swap it for some of yours, and the bacteria on their media will kickstart the growth in your filter.

I've just tested my tank pH and its at 7.4 (the same as my tap water). Is this a good pH level for cycling the tank? Why do you recommend a pH level of 8.2?

I might have to look into getting hold of some mature media!

The bacteria multiply faster at higher pH levels.

8.2 is the optimum level, but 7.4 should be fine.

the_lock_man said:
The other thing you can do is to get hold of some media from someone else's mature tank - swap it for some of yours, and the bacteria on their media will kickstart the growth in your filter.

I went to my local aquatics shop, and they kindly gave me some of their mature media. I've mixed it in with mine. Fingers crossed that it gets it all going for me!

All fully cycled now, and fish added!

I have 1 Golden Honey Gourami and 7 Ember Tetras.

The fish have been in there for a couple of days now and the Ammonia and Nitrite readings are happily staying at zero.

Thanks to you all for your help and guidance.

Here's a pic (click to enlarge):

wow really nice setup you have there
yes.gif

I have the same aquarium how ever mine is overstocked. Like others have said it is a small tank. Mines got bogwood 1 rock 5 real plants 4 fake ( much prefer the real) I've added another pump so I can get an airstone in there. Looking to get the gravel replaced with sand ASAP. As it will be better for the plants to root and for the cat fish and loaches as I hear that they can lose their barbs ( what ever the little whiskers for searching are called) in gravel.

I don't have that little nozzle you got there on the pump, where did you get that?

Take a look at mine , also bottom fish I have this I think it's a stripe cat???? Really only comes out at night mostly hides in bog wood

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 300
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 352
baker360360 said:
I don't have that little nozzle you got there on the pump, where did you get that?

It just came with it!

Mack said:

It just came with it!
Can I ask where you got The aquarium from? If uk what shop? I got mine at pets at home

baker360360 said:

It just came with it!
Can I ask where you got The aquarium from? If uk what shop? I got mine at pets at home

Yep, same here.

Did you get one of these with yours?
Some reason can't upload pic. File to big . It's a nozzle that goes there with a air tube running off it so air bubbles come out with the water from that little hole for filter

Hi there :3

I am about to get one of these tanks. I was wondering, is the filter very noisy?

No, it's very quiet; I have mine about two feet away from my pillow!

Most reactions

Back