New filter medium

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

fatguppy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Sorry to be boring becuase I've seen this topic on here before but can't find it now!

I've just bought a new filter sponge and have (having read on here that it's the right thing to do) dropped it into the tank to allow it to absorb the friendly bacteria. How soon before I can introduce it into the filter and throw the old one away? :)

And just to add folks - without intending to crawl in any way shape or form - without the advice I get from this site, my fish would not be so healthy or happy! So thanks for all advice I've used so far :wub:

Cut the new filter spong in half, take the old one out cut that in half, get half of the new sponge and squeeze one half of the old sponge mess onto the new one, then add the old and new one back to the tank, replace the other half of the new sponge in a few weeks time.

Cut it in half? :eek:

But I paid good money for it!! :(

Okay, okay :crazy:

I'll do as I'm told :sick:

Which bit do I cut off, the top or the bottom? :rofl: (I am joking here!)

:D

I no, but it's to stop the tank cycling again as all your bacteria colony is in that sponge, don't want to replace it all with a new one, how many sponges do you have in the filter.

You could probably just go ahead and put the new sponge in the filter and hang the old sponge inside the tank. That's what I do when I change filters packs on my power filters and I haven't had any problems yet. The bacteria colony will die off slowly in the old sponge since it doesn't have any water flow through it but as it is dying off, the other filter will be building a new colony on it so the bacteria just trade places so to speak.

If this is an aquaclear filter??? both the old and new sponge will fit toghether. Is there any other media in filter such as carbon ect. This media will also contain bacteria and will transfer to new sponge quite quickly.

What kind of filter???

Yeah, I just stick my new one in with the old one for about a week and then take the old one out.

Not sure on aquaclear filter? Don't know what this is. There is just the sponge filter medium that needs to be changed. I have cut in half as suggested, but will monitor water parameters for the next few days. If everything stays okay I will probably put the other half of the new sponge in situ and leave the minging old filter sponge floating in the tank for a few days. Luckily the fish don't seem to mind the minging stuff do they?!!!

Thanks guys, as ever :wub:

Most reactions

Back