New England Manager

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Who do you WANT as the next England manager?

• Jose Mourinho

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Martin O'Neill

• Sam Alardyce

• Alan Curbishley

• Harry Redknapp

• Rafael Benitez

• Gus Hiddink

• Phil Scolari

• Stuart Pearce

• Fabio Capello

• Other (please say Who)

• Total voters
Its probably going to be offered to "FC" from Italy.

Arfie, you sound like a great bloke and I don't think deep down that we have disagreed during this chat.
The internet can make things deceptive ;)

I just think that a new England manager is not the only answer and I'll leave it there.
No, it's certainly not the only answer, but I do truly believe that it is well over half the solution. With a decent manager in place, the players should perform to a higher standard.

I heard today that in the premiership a couple of weeks ago, only 77 players in the starting 11's were English, well so what? Those 77 were presumably better than the foreigners and only 20 or so of them of them can go into the England squad so it makes little difference if we chose the top 20 from 77 or the top 20 of 220.

BTW, I support Rotherham. Dronfield was home for a long time and next time I'm in Chesterfield I'll buy you a pint in the Derby Tup.
You bloody well wont :lol: DerbyTup, is a toilet :p Oh yeah and I'm Teetotal ;) maybe half a coke somewhere though :)

They can't give it to Capello, he's won faaaaar to many titles :lol: It'd be interesting to see if Beckham gets picked under him or not, after all his treatment of Beckham was one of the reasons he lost his job at Real Madrid :lol:

Arfie

I heard today that in the premiership a couple of weeks ago, only 77 players in the starting 11's were English, well so what? Those 77 were presumably better than the foreigners and only 20 or so of them of them can go into the England squad so it makes little difference if we chose the top 20 from 77 or the top 20 of 220.

However, statistics aren't always great, suppose most of those players were goalies and defenders, just picking the best 20 players would not be so great. We rugby people had to endure that with Andy Robinson picking the best 15 players regardless of the fact he had two number 8s, two number 10s and no inside centres...

Whilst I get what you are saying, it wasn't the case though, there are quite a few players for each position.

I will grant McLaren the fact that all of his first choice defenders were out, making the keeper descision even more baffling, but had he been any good as a manager he would have had replacements. Due to his bad management, Jamie Carragher has retired from international football, not because of Terry and Ferdinand being in front of him, I'm sure he understands that, but he gets dragged to the other side of europe and ends up being 5th or 6th choice behind rookies with neither the international nor club experience or quite frankly the skill he has. Had he been picked when Terry or Ferdinand weren't fit he'd still have been playing for England and alongside Campbell would have been a much more solid defence, but McLaren messed him about so he quit.

So just that one little thing could well have been the difference, 2 centrebacks with international experience would have been more solid than playing inexperienced players like Lescott, who is not a bad player and will possibly become very good, but he's not an international class centreback yet.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see more English players come through and Liverpool have produced a few decent ones in the past, but the last batch were simply not quite good enough and I'd rather see better foreign players at my club than average English players. I'd also like a manager of England that can get the best out of the players he has to choose from, if he can't work with the players he had, then no amount more average players to choose from will fix the problem.

Arfie

THIS Just made me feel very happy :hyper:

Probably won't happen, they be unable to pay his wages due to having to keep paying insurance premiums on Michael (sicknote) Owen's injury insurance :rolleyes:

Arfie

THIS Just made me feel very happy :hyper:

Probably won't happen, they be unable to pay his wages due to having to keep paying insurance premiums on Michael (sicknote) Owen's injury insurance :rolleyes:

Arfie

I saw that too, and fingers crossed it'll happen regardless of the cost.
Although, he doesn't need the money and I hope that he doesn't take the job, only to leave after a short while due to a fall out with the FA because he doesn't get his own way. He has the ability and an ego to match. He can transform the England team, but it'll be his way or no way.
If the FA were quick enough though they could have had McLeish for peanuts.
Hope that McClaren doesn't have aspirations of being the new Scottish coach. :shout:

Regards, Don

He can transform the England team, but it'll be his way or no way.

I don't see how that could be a bad thing :no: He is a great manager and like all great managers he achieved success by doing things his way :nod:

Ferguson is the same, so is Wenger, so was Shankley, Paisley, Busby and the greatest English manager ever - Cloughie.

About time the suits realised that if you hire the best in the business and leave them to do the thing they are experts in, you will have a chance of winning things. Suits who know less than the manager they appoint should stick to messing other things up in the background.

Arfie

I don't see how that could be a bad thing :no: He is a great manager and like all great managers he achieved success by doing things his way :nod:

Aaargh, here we go again agreeing disagreeably Arfie.
Yes he is a great manager, and no it's not a bad thing that he does things his own way, but will the stuffed shirts at the FA tolerate it? I'm not sure....
The man can lift and inspire the team/country to former greatness and we all want that but I am worried that the frustration of working for the FA will prove too much for a Jose, and I can see him jacking it in purely for the reason that he doesn't need the hassle.

I don't think I'm disagreeing with you ;)

I just hope the FA realise that, this kind of man is what we need and they need to leave him alone to do the job IF they can get him in the first place :nod:

I notice Sir Alex has said Jose would be ideal, probably worried about him getting back into club management again, or even fearing for his job ;) Can you imagine the club vs country disputes with Jose in charge :lol:

Arfie

So, Looks like it's Capello.

Not my first or 2nd choice, but certainly not a bad appointment.

If Jose and O'Neill don't want it, then a man who has won 9 leagues at 4 different clubs in spain and italy along with a european cup, who is not afraid of upsetting superstars (ask Beckham, Ronaldo, Totti and Del Pierro) isn't a bad choice.

The lack of fluent English may not be such a bad thing as he's likely to stay away from the vultures in the English tabloid press.

I'd like to see him drag the core of the England squad together for a 2 week training camp while the euro's (that we should have been in) are going on and work on a few things during the off season all together in a club type enviroment. No matches, just working on formation/tactics etc. I want Gerrard back fit next season.

Arfie

Most reactions

Back