New Cichlid Set-up!

like the siggy says, what works forone might not work for another...but I'm not going to be irresponsible to think that the water company is going to personally tell me when they've had problems and needed to add certain things to ward off bacteria.

any chlorine hitting your filter is NOT doing you a favor...thats basic fish keeping 101

pretty comon sense....you'd think :look:

by all means jayjay, do what you think is best, it is your tank, your fish, your $. :good: .......

I totally understand, perhaps a DIY would work better for ya? regular old garden hose with an adapter?

i think c-f has a DIY for it

My python goes out of the french doors to an outside tap, which has a screw thingy on the end so the python just screws up into it. Python also comes with a brass attachment which I could screw into my kitchen tap if I unscrewed the black plastic thingy first and took it out. Any which way you should be able with the bits supplied or a cheapo adaptor be able to fit it. Make sure you measure the distance from tank to tap accurately because the price difference between the 2 sizes is quite a bit and it's only extra piping.

CHEFFI!!!!! mornin!

it's been a raucous evening!

when you use theoutside tap dont you get one temp-COLD?

Yep I do but tbh it doesn't drop the temp that much on a 20% change. I asked q's about that previously and most people don't get it to the same temp as the tank before they put it in. Have I been doing it wrong? :S

Yes I've seen what you've been up. I'd love to see you in charge of a boarding school for delinquents, kill or cure :lol:

If it`s any help my python screws into the kitchen mixer tap, the standard strainer (if thats what you call it) is screwed out then the python screwed in !

If it`s any help my python screws into the kitchen mixer tap, the standard strainer (if thats what you call it) is screwed out then the python screwed in !

Yep, that was what I was trying to say but not so technically :lol:

Indeed mama, I know more people who do it aswel, just thought i'd say it hasn't caused a problem for me or others.

i wouldn't advise on putting your cichlids in the goldfish tank and useing 1 goldfish to cycle your tank. Also did you dechlorinate your water before you filled up your tank. If you didn't you might have killed off your bacteria. Something else you can do since you have more tanks is if you have hang on the back filters you can switch them back and forth until you get the newer to you filter seeded. You can also do 10% daily water changes to keep it down , that way it won't take as long in one day.

ive just had a thought about adding declorinator to the tap water when using a python thing. you could use one of those hose pipe conections that look like a jar. normally put cleaning products or fertilzers in them but sure it would work with fish chemicals.

You could or squirt it down the tube before the water is added.
I honestly don`t think theres any need to worry (about when to add it )when dealing with a larger volume of water though.

Most reactions

Back