New Archer Fish

What chart? Where's it floating?

The only things I know about is the paper by G. R. Allen that includes an identification key of archerfish plus lots of good photos, and my sketches based on that paper. If there are other resources, please let me know about them.

Cheers, Neale

Someone needs to add an archer fish profile to the Oddball section, along with that chart that's floating around the internet that differentiates the different species.

Neale,

Actually your sketches are the chart I was referring to. I was having trouble finding it again so I wasn't able to reference it at the time. I glad you reposted so I can book mark it. Great information there!

-Darke

What chart? Where's it floating?

The only things I know about is the paper by G. R. Allen that includes an identification key of archerfish plus lots of good photos, and my sketches based on that paper. If there are other resources, please let me know about them.

Cheers, Neale

Someone needs to add an archer fish profile to the Oddball section, along with that chart that's floating around the internet that differentiates the different species.

I have one that I posted up near the top of this page, here it is: Toxotidae Identification Guide

Not fantastic, but a start.

-Darke

I'm currently working on some care information to go along with the identification guide. Along with it will be information about caring for, keeping, and breeding feeder insects such as crickets, roaches, etc. It's information you don't typically find associated with archers. Archer care is an interesting topic to write about because everyone seems to do it a little differently, there's really no one way of doing things with a species that's so adaptable.

Great! I do plan on getting an Archer eventually, so that information will prove invaluable for me. Just curious, how much room do you give them from the top of the tank to allow for spitting / jumping? I don't normally have complete lids for my aquariums, so I obviously wanted to make sure they can't jump out onto the floor and die.

-Darke

Darke,

I gave my archers 13" of overhead space above the waterline, yet I don't feed them in a way that requires them to spit (only very rarely). I find that archers are remarkable jumpers and their growth/abilities tend to sneak up on you unnoticed. I once saw one of my archers leap out of the water a distance twice it's body length and catch a fly that was in flight. It seems to me that they can leap at least twice their own length. Reguardless, you really should have a lid. A good way to give them more room would be to build a deep canopy/hood.

Watching them spit got old after about 2 weeks. I really don't think they care how they capture thier food as long as they eat. I find it easiest to just drop the appropriate amount of food in the water at the same time to ensure the entire shoal eats an equal amount. I also found an increase in growth, and coloration clarity, after switch over to a 90% pellet diet. My belief is that the pellets ensure they meet all their required nutritional needs where as live foods just weren't cutting it. I still feed a variety of insects occassionally, ususal about once a week.

- Dave Legacy

i mostly feed mine chiled pellets and dryed river shirmp, but he will eat anything apart from vegi stuff and my lat remaining hatchet fish, lol he ate all 9 of them about 6 months ago but for some reason left one ....

I've probably mentioned this before, but I used to combine the "spitting" thing with water changes. Siphon out 33-50% of the water. Leave the filter running (you may need to fiddle with the pipes for this to be viable). Stick bits of prawn on the glass. Let the fish spit! Once you're done playing, pour in the new water.

What's good about this system is the fish learn that water changes = treats, and the aquarist learns that water changes = playtime. A win-win for everyone!

As Dave mentions, there's no real advantage to keeping archers in a half-filled tank all year round. In fact, I'd argue keeping them in a full tank is better because of the extra water (buffering against water chemistry changes etc.). In the wild archers only spit for a small %age of their food, most of the rest is captured in midwater (small fish) or by jumping (flying insects).

Cheers, Neale

I am jealous of all of you! lol I miss my archers so much- Will definitely get some again when I leave school. you guys should really try to make some good videos of them (assuming you feed them live food??) feeding... I tried but they weren't that good from a compact camera on movie mode...

I gave my archers 13" of overhead space above the waterline, yet I don't feed them in a way that requires them to spit (only very rarely). I find that archers are remarkable jumpers and their growth/abilities tend to sneak up on you unnoticed. I once saw one of my archers leap out of the water a distance twice it's body length and catch a fly that was in flight. It seems to me that they can leap at least twice their own length. Reguardless, you really should have a lid. A good way to give them more room would be to build a deep canopy/hood.

Watching them spit got old after about 2 weeks. I really don't think they care how they capture thier food as long as they eat. I find it easiest to just drop the appropriate amount of food in the water at the same time to ensure the entire shoal eats an equal amount. I also found an increase in growth, and coloration clarity, after switch over to a 90% pellet diet. My belief is that the pellets ensure they meet all their required nutritional needs where as live foods just weren't cutting it. I still feed a variety of insects occassionally, ususal about once a week.

- Dave Legacy

Guys, great information. I can't imagine how I would create a canopy like that other than using wood and paint it to match the canopy (plexiglass would be too expensive I think). At any rate, I have plenty of time to think about it so no hurry.

Great! I do plan on getting an Archer eventually, so that information will prove invaluable for me. Just curious, how much room do you give them from the top of the tank to allow for spitting / jumping? I don't normally have complete lids for my aquariums, so I obviously wanted to make sure they can't jump out onto the floor and die.

-Darke

GET A LID! lol if not at least for the crickets you will probs want to be feeding them
I was using a Rio 180 (180 litters and I think 39 IMP gallons) and I left maybe a third at the top-- and even made a little rope for the crickets to walk on (aren't I kind :unsure: )

Here's a couple of pics to show what I mean:

147585790-L.jpg

147586011-L.jpg

And one happy Archer lol:

147585914-M.jpg

Hope that helped

oops haven't been on here is ages- um the Rio 180 is 180 liters so about 30 gallons... they were fake plants also and I had 3 archers

Most reactions

Back