New 125 gallon with undergravel filter

Raechal

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I really wanted to use play sand as the substrate but was worried maybe it would get sucked into the undergravel filter? I've never used an undergravel filter so maybe I can get some tips from someone who has? :dunno:

I also heard larger fish were better with undergravel filters. Small ones would get sucked in? :dunno:

You cannot have sand with an UGF. But for a tank that big, you should get a proper filter. UGFs are only good for small tanks IMO.

Ugf are only good on small fish that don't produce alot of waste, as they clog up quite easily.

What about if I covered the ugf with gravel as a "pathway" and fill the rest with sand. Also, I could also add a filter that hooks on the back.

Don't think it would work, the gravel would mix up in the sand, and I think the ugf would get blocked up with the sand.

Wilder said:
Don't think it would work, the gravel would mix up in the sand, and I think the ugf would get blocked up with the sand.
Hmm... I guess I will have to stick with gravel then? I am planning on getting an oscar. Would he be okay with an ugf and gravel?

Just get a proper filter!!!! Oscars are very messy I believe. A UGF can't cope with the mess of a full grown Oscar. You can have sand if you get a proper filter!!!!

OohFeeshy said:
Just get a proper filter!!!! Oscars are very messy I believe. A UGF can't cope with the mess of a full grown Oscar. You can have sand if you get a proper filter!!!!
I don't have anymore money. :-( The UGF came with the tank I bought. I wonder if they could exchange it for a better filter? They let me exchange the decorations and food. :nod:

Big fish, you would be constantly in the tank with it being blocked, I had one once tore it out it was a nightmare.

Wilder said:
Big fish, you would be constantly in the tank with it being blocked, I had one once tore it out it was a nightmare.
Yea...I wouldn't want to stick my arm in a tank with a fullgrown oscar trying to move around "his" filter. :hyper: :lol: I might called Petsmart today and ask them if they can exchange the filters out. I hope they can.

If your changing form gavel to sand, take the oscar out so he doesnt get stressed out.

FrAnK3333 said:
If your changing form gavel to sand, take the oscar out so he doesnt get stressed out.
I called Petsmart and they won't let me exchange it. I am listing it on e-bay tomorrow and hopefully someone will buy it so I can put that money towards buying two hang-on filters.

I don't have gravel or sand in my aquarium as of now. Or any fish for that matter. I just got it in my room today. It still needs to cycle and all of that fun stuff. :rolleyes:

Well thats sucks. Instead of 2 hang on filters, go for 1 hang on , and a canister. I would get a emperor 400 and a magnum 350.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back