New 115 Gallon Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

1234-fishy-freind

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Me and my dad have bought a 115 gallon tank that was intended on being a preditory marine tank but we already have a 100 gallon marine reef and we thought 2 marines would be too much maintenance.

So instead it is going to have 2-3 big freshwater fish in it. I want some suggestions as to what to have.
We would like to have a freshwater ray, maybe and oscar, a peacock bass and a siamese tiger fish. Not all of those obvioulsy, they are just some of the larger fish we like.

So what would you suggest we have ?

What about discus?
Seeing as this is in the predatory fish section, I doubt fishyfriend is looking for something like discus.

What are the dimensions of the tank? IMO, the tank is too small for the ray and peacock bass and depending on the species, will be too small for the "tiger fish." There are different species of "tiger fish" and here is a good chart to figure them out:

post-2985-1169761133.gif

You should look at bichirs, different south and central american cichlids, larger catfish (research well, some get longer than the 110gl).

Start looking for other fish you like that don't get too big. :good:

Rays require huge amounts of floor space, so unless you have a very wide 115 i would say no on them. also All species of Peacock bass can outgrow that size. Oscars make a great wet pet and are very interesting to watch.

The width of the tank is what will dictate how large the fish you can keep are, nearly all fish require a tank that is at least 1.5 times their own length wide in order to turn around comfortably and some predatory fish like Peacock Bass which chase down their prey will require twice their own length. I'm guessing your tank is 24 inches from front to back which limits you to fish between 12 and 18 inches long depending on their species, though long thin flexible fish like eels and inactive fish which just sit on the botom can be kept in less space.

The dimensions are
72 inches long
21 inches wide
20 inches deep.

I know the volume adds up to either 130 US gal or 109 UK gal so i just said it as somewhere near the middle. This tank also has a sump as it was intended for marine and the sump adds and extra 30 gallons or so.

That limits you to fish that are between 10 and 15 inches long.

We went to an aquatic store earlier and saw a really nice pair of adult oscars which, if they are still there when the tank has cycled, we will get. They also had a nice large banded leporinus which we thought would look nice.
I think with those 3 fish we would add one of the smaller tiger fish and possibly a sailfin plec.

Leporinus are extreemly aggressive fish, i'd be carefull of adding a large one to a mixed tank.

If we get a leporinus I will add it last to try and limit the chance of aggresion. If it does turn out to be aggressive even towards 2 big oscars i will see about re-homing it.

Surley my tank isnt big enough for a barramundi....

i'd go for bichirs personally, having different species in the tank. i do believe a 115g is able to hold most species of bichirs, even saddled bichirs or ornates.

Most reactions

Back