Neon Tetra?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

its going to be a new tank, so neons are probs not a great idea. I'm going to fishless cycle the tank, and the first fish in are going to be some kinda of tetra, or someting similarly colourful.

In respect to tetra's being best kept in planted tanks, I've never attempted live plants before...does anyone with very little horticultural experience here keep a planted tank? I'd like some first hand info on how difficult it is.

thanks for all responses,

Nik

Check out the 'proven performers' plants in the aquatic plants section in one of the pinned articles.

Plants are about the only thing I've had success with in my tank. They don't seem very difficult. They are growing while the fish are dying...

Yes cardinals are meant to be a harder fish then the neon tetra.

If you want color go for Endler's livebearers. They are BEAUTIFUL small fish and they can be kept in groups of around 4-8. They breed like guppies and the fry may need their own little 5 gallon tank to grow up in as to not overpopulate your main tank but I love Endler's because they are so pretty and active and great!

http://www.aquariumhobbyist.com/endlerslivebearer/

Cardinals are great little fish. i have 12 in my planted tank and never had any problems. they are also in with an Angelfish which should have eaten them by now but seem to get along fine. the angel was a baby when she met the cardinals so probably doesn't realise she can eat them. (before someone tells me off, the cardinals are all too big to eat now so theyre safe..)

heres a pic.

cardinals2.jpg

I've just cycled my 15G Hex and have planted it quiet heavily.

I got three foreground plants, one of which is a amazon sword and another is one with really fine leaves (its really common but cant name it)

In the middle I have bogood with java fern & anubia (Think thats right) tied to it

In front I have three small plants that are spereading like wild-fire

I wouldn't put the plants in until your nitrite has spiked and you stop adding ammonia cos the ammonia melted all my plants and I started again!

Also, I have stocked my tank with 6 neons and a pleco.

The neons seem fine!

Most reactions

Back