Neon Dwarf Gourami

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

rykitten

Fish Addict
Reaction score
My remaining Gourami is constantly stalked by my evil swordtail. The swordtail is much smaller but unfortunately much quicker.

The Gourami cannot get away from him. Swordy is forever nibbling at his side near his gills. There isn't any sort of mark that I can see.

I am concerned. Does the swordtail sense something I can't see? Or is he trying to stress the Gourami out on purpose?

The Gour. swims up to the top and just kind of bobs around near the filter. Swordy doesn't bother him near the filter.

Occasionally Swordy will do it for 10-15 mins. At that point I'll trap in the net and keep him there for an hour or so. Give the Gor sometime to rest.

Does anyone know why Swordy is picking on him like this??? What can I do to make it stop?

This is definitely not a good situation. I would imagine your swordtail needs some buddies, namely females if it is a male. That should help the aggression because he'll be more interested in them than your gourami. You might consider rearranging your tank to confuse their territories too. If none of this works, you should remove one or the other if it all possible.

Julie,

Thanks for the advice!

I have removed the Gourami into a 2.5 gal hospital tank. He looks so unhappy and sad! :( I've read Gouramis need at least a 10 gal tank? I am afraid my boss will hurt me soon. I've spent so much company $ on fish stuff. :D

My other Gourami has TB and is in a different 2.5 gal tank. I was wondering . . .

Do you think it's possible that the seemingly healthy Gour. could have TB and isn't showing any physical signs yet? Maybe that's why the Sword keeps picking on him? The Swordy doesn't bother any of the others, only the Gour. Or maybe it's the orange that attracts the Sword to the Gour. . .

I wish I could understand their actions. Maybe I should a call a pet psychic. LOL
Totally J/K.

But seriously, any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

TB in fish is incurable as far as I know. The most humane thing you can do with a fish that has TB is to ..... :/ .......... euthanize it. :-(

that is what I read at least. :(

Be VERY careful if or when you do because it can easily be transfered to humans. Also you should use a separate net and clean it really good.

I am wearing gloves whenever I change water. :D

Maybe I should euthanize both of the Gouramis. If one has TB, almost surely the other must have it too. I can't decide because they both appear to be healthy in their own tanks (eat plenty, lots of energy) but don't do well in the community setting.

And it's difficult talking to my boss about it because he's the one in charge. Everything was purchased with his money, so I feel obligated to ask his opinion, although he doesn't know much about fish. :/

How do know that your fish a TB, BTW?

I can see how you're in a kinda bad position.....don't really know what to say.

This sounds kinda weird but; do you know the most humane way to euthanize a fish?

Buggy,

I've heard the best way to do it, (and probably the easiest for me), would be in clove oil, then freezing. I've also heard chopping off the head is the quickest, most painless method, but excuse me when I say I don't have the ba!!s to do it.

I think he has TB because he had open ulcers on his head and near his gills, and missing scales. I treated with Maracyn, Maracyn 2, salt and Melafix with no results. They appeared to have cleared up after several weeks, but came back a second time with a vengence. He appears to be better now, but his colors aren't as bright as they should be, he is still bald (missing head scales) and he still has little red marks near his gills.

hmmmm......

well like I said, I really don't that much about it. Everything I know about your porblem I've already said, and most of that was prbably speculation. The best advise I can give you now is to just do whatever you think is best.

I've never heard of chopping their head off :sick: :X
And I can't say that I would do it either. I'm sure just freezing the poor guy would be the least traumatic. :/

Most reactions

Back