need help with setting up 90 gallon

raseii

Reaction score
Hi,
We might be purchasing a 90 gallon tank. Its a great deal that I just cant pass up and it comes with a wooden stand and canopy. I need help with what I will need to get this thing up and running. It does not have any lights right now, so if I bought some shop lights from home depot, would that work and what would I need? I am going to put some live plants in, but it will not be alot like a big planted tank. Also, I am guessing I will need 2 filters, right? I really like the penquin bio-wheel filters. Will I need 2 of these or maybe 1 filter and a power head? And will one heater be enough? I think that is all I need to find out.
Thanks

Wow... that's a lotta questions... lol

Lights - 90 Gals usually have a four foot light on the top with a 40W bulb (you might want to get the kind with two bulbs since your planting it). You can get one from Home Depot and insert it yourself but be sure there is a glass medium between the bulb and the water surface. This can be a glass top over the aquarium or a cover over the light.

Plants - Options are unlimited... and I'm no expert.

Filter - I have a Magnum 350 (350 GPH) on a 125 Gal with Oscars (messy fish). I would say a canister filter of this size or larger would be enough. If you go with the Over Flow (Hang On Back) filters I doubt this same GPH would work, you would have to double up on the over flow filters. I would suggest the canister though, there are a lot of reputable brands...

Heaters - I think they say the 300 Watt regular heaters are rated for 100 plus gallons. Just read the package and follow their 'up to' guide.

Also I'd like to encourage another question... substrate... sand or gravel. I've heard a lot about sand lately and have been enticed to try something new. There are several threads in this forum on the topic as well as one pinned (at the top of the list)... Have fun with your new toy!

ooops... I lied... it's not pinned on this forum :p same site... other forum...

But just click here and save the trouble

Hi Raseii....if you think you have a great deal on a tank, stand, etc, go for it. But...do your research before setting it up if you are a 'newbie' like we all were to save time headache and money. If this is your first tank, look up the 'pinned' topics on cycling your tank. I did it with fish but most recommend a 'fishless cycle'. This is pinned too. The basics you need are:
1) Filters...2 filters for a 90 would be great. I have AquaClears and they get pretty rave reviews here. Search for any posts on Penguins if you are curious what others say about them
2) Heater....a single 300w might be good but with a ninety, some would recommend one on each side of the tank for more even heating and for backup if one goes out
3) Substrate (gravel or sand)
4) Thermometer
5) Gravel vac (the Python is great)
6) water test kit (ammonia, pH, nitrite and nitrate)
7) Aquarium lighting...read up on this....certain plants require certain levels of lighting and it pays to research it before buying lighting from Home Depot
8) extra is a water pump/tubing/airstone if you plan to use one
9) Don't forget to get a GFI electrical outlet set up to prevent shock

Just a framework. Good luck. SH

I am in the process of putting up a 120 gallon tank. I have done a lot of looking at things as this is a upgrade in size from anything I have done before. I have done 55 gallon tanks before.

As for the filters, I personally like the Emperor 400. It is a solid bio wheel filter and is highly recommended. I am using two of these on my 120. I also like it because it can be had very cheaply. Go to Petco.com and you can get it for $45. If you are a first time buyer, you can take 20% off. I would still go with two on a 90 gallon tank, there is not really any such thing as too much filtration.

As for heaters, the general rule of thumb is 3 to 5 watts per gallon. Kind of like the lighting rule of thumb. 300 watts is good, but I would consider two 200 watt heaters placed one at each end of the tank.

Lighting is recommended to be in the 3 to 5 watt range again. However, if this is your first planted tank, you should start with less demanding plants that don't need as much light. This makes keeping them easier and getting the lighting cheaper. If you are lucky enough to get a canopy that will house fixtures that are 48 inches, that is great. However, a lot of canopies sit on top of the sides of the aquarium. If this is the case, they will generally only be 47 inches wide inside and will not allow for 48 inch lights. In this case, you will be looking at power compact or T5 light fixtures or retrofit kits. Fixtures are finished units that you just put on the tank, while retrofit kits are kits that you wire up and install on the tank. AH supply is the best for retrofit kits.

You can do sand, gravel or a mixture of the two for your substrate, what you put on the bottom of the tank. I am going with sand on the 120. It is much, much cheaper than gravel and looks very nice indeed. It also works well for planting. Which ever way you go, you will need at least a pound of substrate for each gallon of water.

Make sure you read the the sticky threads about starting a new tank if you are a first timer.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. After talking it over with my husband, I think we have decided that a 90 gallon tank might be too much for us. We are VERY new to fish keeping. I just got our first 10 gallon tank finished cycling :) We had origanally planned on getting a 55, but then someone offered us a 90 with nice stand and canopy for a very cheap price. Its really hard to turn down that offer, but it may just be too much for us right now. Do you all think between a 55 and 90 there is a big difference as far as maintaining the tank and taking care of it? As far as looking at it from a newbies point of view?
Thanks again

Actually, I don't think a 90 gallon tank would be too much for you, as long as you go slow with it and do it the right way.

Now of course, it does cost more to keep, but is not that much more work than a 55 gallon tank.

But it has to be your decision, and if you don't feel comfortable with trying it at this point, then the 55 gallon tank would be your best choice.

Get the 90. If you develop multiple tank syndrome, you'll regret not gettting it forever.

It isn't that difficult to maintain. And we are only offering the "best" ideas. You can get by with much less.

I have 150 watts of heat on my 120 gal tank. Room temp stays at around 74 degrees. Now if my furnace went out, I probally would be cussing, or rushing out to buy a few more heaters. However it works for me and maintains a temp of 76.

I am running three aqua clear 30-60 filters. Really need to get some cannister filters, but even with having my solo oscar, and a common plec in the tank, it remains clean with two 20% water changes a week.

I have shop lights on my 120. two rows for 160 watts of light. Java moss and Wisteria grow great. Even if the plec and oscar attempt to tear them up on a daily basis.

go for it. Worst case senerio, you decide you can't maintain the tank, then pop back here in the buy sell and trade section and post it for sale. Or put it on ebay. Hopefully you would at least break out even.

I would say that the maintenance between a 90 Gal and 55 Gal (I have a 55 and a 125...) are negligible. Start up costs a little more... and the rewards of the larger tank are greater. Once it's up and going... this difference wouldn't require much more work at all, and as I said... will reward you much better.

To me... the biggest difference between a 90 G and a 55G is the fact the 90 is thicker/deeper (front to back). This will allow you to comfortably house larger fish if you chose to.

Some people buy a tank then go fish crazy (most of us here fall in that category), others buy a tank and like it and maintain it well, others buy it and loose interest and let it fall apart (not literally...)

If you think you would more than likely fall into one of the first two category of fish keepers, I think you will be glad you went with the larger tank. Naturally, if this is a 6 month project you will not want after half a year, buy me the 90 and I'll give you my 55! lol, just kidding...

nc_nutcase said:
I would say that the maintenance between a 90 Gal and 55 Gal (I have a 55 and a 125...) are negligible. Start up costs a little more... and the rewards of the larger tank are greater. Once it's up and going... this difference wouldn't require much more work at all, and as I said... will reward you much better.

To me... the biggest difference between a 90 G and a 55G is the fact the 90 is thicker/deeper (front to back). This will allow you to comfortably house larger fish if you chose to.

Some people buy a tank then go fish crazy (most of us here fall in that category), others buy a tank and like it and maintain it well, others buy it and loose interest and let it fall apart (not literally...)

If you think you would more than likely fall into one of the first two category of fish keepers, I think you will be glad you went with the larger tank. Naturally, if this is a 6 month project you will not want after half a year, buy me the 90 and I'll give you my 55! lol, just kidding...
Fish crazy?

Is that why I just spent a boat load of money on a 120 gallon setup?

In all seriousness, your point is well made and the big tank is preferable. Especially if it is a good deal. If it is a good deal, it should also defray some of the start up costs as compared to a 55 gallon.

As has also been said here, you don't have to buy the best of everything to start with. You can start with one filter and one heater and see how it works. As you progress and add more fish, you could then add the second filter if needed. You may never even need it.

We almost all regret not getting a larger tank..go for the 90 if you can. I have a 46 gallon BF which looked enormous to me when were contemplating buying it. It now seems puny and I'd get a 120 gallon if I could. Lol. SH

I'm re-doing my 55 Gal right now and every day I think "damn why didn't I get the 90 Gal!" They are both four feet long... both take up the same amount of room... but one holds almost twice as many plants/fish/decor which gives me twice as many things to point at and say, "Hey baby come in here and check this out." Which is usually followed by "They're your fish, you look at it!"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

nc_nutcase said:
I'm re-doing my 55 Gal right now and every day I think "damn why didn't I get the 90 Gal!" They are both four feet long... both take up the same amount of room... but one holds almost twice as many plants/fish/decor which gives me twice as many things to point at and say, "Hey baby come in here and check this out." Which is usually followed by "They're your fish, you look at it!"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
ROFL!

Most reactions

Back