Native Wildflowers

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

kribensis12

I know where you live
Reaction score
Okay, i feel it is my part to replant some of what was once flourishing in the Illinois Prarie. I was given some plants from my uncle when i went to his house last year. I have planted :
Wild Strawberries
Yellow Coneflowers
Purple Coneflowers
Red Milkweed
and some sort of plant with a purple flower ( it didnt come back this year, but i got some more babies from my uncle this week).

So, i keep the strawberries for the rabbits and whatever else comes along. I keep the flowers and milk weed as its pretty, and i hope the seeds will travel and grow somewhere else. Here are some pictures:

167.jpg
That is the red milkweed.
168.jpg
Dyeing Purple Coneflower
169.jpg
Opening Purple Coneflower
170.jpg
Yellow Coneflower
172.jpg
Opening Yellow Coneflower
175.jpg
This shows you how tall theese plants are, i have no idea why they are so tall, but i guess my dirt must be good or something!

I do have pictures of a Wild Strawberries but i wont post them unless you want them. I do have a question though, i have a voulunteer rose that is growing on my side yard, and it is starting to die and i dont know why. Here are some pictures:
173.jpg

174.jpg

Is there anything i can do?

Hope you enjoyed!

nice pics, the flowers look good against the blue picket fence, it contrasts well :)

Thanks! The blue picket fence is our siding of our house! So, do you know what is wrong with the rose plant?

It’s a bit hard to tell but it looks like the plant is drying out. Roses often curl their leaves up when they are dehydrated. Then the edge of the leaves go brown as they dry out. Eventually the entire leaf dries out and falls off.
How often is it being watered and does it get any fertiliser? If it gets watered daily and fertilised regularly then I would probably prune off the sick parts and let it grow back. They are quite fast growing and can take a pretty harsh pruning. They are also normally very hardy plants that suffer primarily from damp conditions causing black spot on the leaves.

I dont not water it or fertilize it. I guess i could start watering and fertilizing it, i just never botherd, being its a volunteer that sprouted in the middle of winter. Its leaves are curling and there turning white. We've gotten a normal amount of rain this year, and i've had roses there before. Almost all branches are like the ones in the pictures.

Maybe just try watering it a couple of times a week and see how it goes. If it gets worse then there might be something that has gotten into the soil and is causing problems. However, any other plants nearby should also be affected. It could have a virus but if it is a sucker, (came out of the ground by itself) then they are very hardy and don't normally have any problems.

If the leaves are going white it could be mildew or fungus. Pruning the infected areas should clear the problem up. Just cut off the infected branches a couple of inches below the lowest white leaf. Fungus and mildew are normally caused by excessive moisture in the air. Its summer where you are so that shouldn’t be a real problem at this time of year.

I pruned it pretty good, but im afriad it wont make it from the prunning. I had to cut 4 big branches off and several parts of smaller ones. I waterd it with Miracle Grow

Roses are pretty tough. I prune mine right back to a couple of main stems, and strip all the leaves off each year and they always come back really nicely. Give it a chance and see how it goes. It should be fine :)

Some more leaves are turning white and curling. I'll have to prune it more extensively, but i dont think it'll make it.

Most reactions

Back