My First Planted Tank

well, two days after i did a HUUGE waterchange on the tank (aka last night) i drip acclimated and added the rasboras from my ten gallon. (3 total). when i got home from work today, drumrolllllllll---- they were all still aliive!! :D :D
should i add the rest of the fish from the ten in there before too much bacteria from cycling die off??

edit: i am going to get the black neons in there tonight. i feel pretty confident that the bacterial colony established by cycling is far more than necessary to handle the bioload produced by three juvie rasboras and a couple of neons.
dripping as i type.

Yeh think you'd be ok to add the rest, how many would that make in total?

Yeh you'd probably be fine if you added them all at once

do you think i would have enough room to have a group of five of each of these and still add my intended pair of rams and pair of killies?

or even a bigger shoal of rasboras?
edit: the species profile for harlequins says that a group of 12 to 24 can be kept in a 30 gallon, so i am guessing that i could keep up to 12 with the rest of my intended list. i have modified this in that i was able to separate out a pair from the three danios i had. those two are dripping right now. i dont know if they will breed in the thirty in the community setting or not, but if they do it would be pretty cool and if they dont i wont mind. i still plan on getting three more black neons, to make a small group of 5. i am supposed to get four german rams from a coworker tomorrow. i think i may skip the whole killifish idea until i can get a tank that i can dedicate to just the pair. in fact i know thats how i want to do that. so that makes my final list:
12 harlequins
2 danios 1m1f
5 black neons
4 german rams

what do you think??

well, available finances being nonexistent, i have yet to change anything about the tank save for a 20% waterchange. i have been keeping lights going on and off intermittently, and have noticed a brown algae outbreak beginning. how should i feel about this? on the one hand i feel like this is a beginning to the tank maturing, but on the other hand i feel like this is something i should have been precluding with the addition of plants. when i do add plants, would some fast growers outcompete existing algae?

Most reactions

Back