My Diy Battery Back Up

chr15_8

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I decided this morning (Sunday) I wanted a battery back up for my Vortech so decided to make my own. It cost me under £50 and I bought all the stuff today.

The real Vortech battery back up has 1x 18 Ah battery giving an mp40 up to 36 hours. The twin spot has 2x 7 Ah (14 Ah) so hopefully mine should give up to 28 hours.

Emergency twin spot light fitting - Toolstation
1.3mm DC power jack - Maplin
Plug top with 3 amp fuse - Toolstation
1m Flex - (already had laying around but can get from electrical shops)
1 stuffing gland - (already had laying around but can get from electrical shops)
2+m of twin cable (already had laying around but can get from electrical shops/maplin)

Need list
1x Twin spot emergency light
1x 1.3mm DC Jack
twin cable from battery box to 1.3mm (i used thick speaker cable)
Plug top
Flex

Twin spot light
27022011529.jpg

The 1.3mm DC Jack
27022011532.jpg

Once the front cover is opened it will look like this inside.
27022011530.jpg

Disconnect the 2x spot lights (The 4 cables on the top left) and take the 2x bolts holding the lights off.
27022011531.jpg

Solder the wire to 1.3mm plug. This can be bought already attached but maplins don't have them.
27022011536.jpg

Attach the other end of the cable to the terminals you removed twin spots from.
27022011537.jpg

Attach the flex with the plug top on the end to the supply terminals. (Right hand side)
27022011538.jpg

Then plug in it and charge the batteries (I would recommend 24 hours before you turn it off for the first charge)
27022011539.jpg

Took less than 1 hour after I collected all the materials.

I will update this with how long the back up will last if a powercut was to happen.

Thanks
Chris

If you decide to do this its completely down to yourself. I will not be responsible for any damages.

If only I understood a word of that :unsure: but it looks good :good: cant wait to see if it reaches its potential

Seffie x

Thanks Seffie

Ive been testing the back up on my Vortech MP40 and so far it has lasted over 16 hours. Very happy with it atm.

My battery back up lasted 27 hours and 15 minutes using my Vortech mp40. My prediction was only 45 minutes out so am really happy with the results.

Hi looks good m8.
could you hook it up to run every thing in the tank? or use multiple battery's?

you could but it wouldn't last very long when you have heaters and lights plugged. You would need an inverter to run 230v as well.

Its only really to keep the flow in my tank as it will take a while for 400 litres of water in my tank to cool down too fast.

Its also just to give me a bit of extra time too get the genny started if its a serious matter. For 10 hours most tanks should be fine with just flow alone.

I done another test on it to make sure it works and it lasted the full 12 hours I tested it for. The Vortech kicked into action with no problems when I dropped the power to it and the battery back up unit.

I've got an old emergency light pack somewhere and an old 300w step down tranny for 12v dc input so I think I'll be doing the same to run my heater and powerheads and pump. Should get 12 hours min out if them.
I'll just stick a fused switched spur with a 5a fuse and run an extension lead off the load side.

Good idea mate.

My original plan involved a large case, a 300ah car battery, a transformer and an inverter.
But your way is simpler! Lol

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back