My bichirs passed away:(

Connershawzz

Reaction score
Some of you may have seen my post yesterday, had a problem with my wish dying once I switched to live blood worms. I thought I was getting the un eaten ones out. But I lost my fish and then my 2 pride and joys. (My Senegals) all passed. Iā€™m 99% it was ammonia burn , my albino has red burns all on her tummy and tail.. very sad day. My wife was awesome cleaned my whole tank went out got me all new substrate (sand substrate now) and a new Senegal. Iā€™m learning from my mistake and hopefully Iā€™ll do better this time ! I have a delhezi getting delivered next week sometime too , so Iā€™m hoping I got it all figured out (and yes we bought the burn medication but the pet store decided to delay our order and not deliver it.
Thank you all for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_3495.jpeg
    IMG_3495.jpeg
    276.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3496.jpeg
    IMG_3496.jpeg
    264.8 KB · Views: 5
Predatory fish have a tendency to pollute the water more, so they are very dependent on cycling, and water changes

How big is your tank out of interest? The fish you sadly lost are all quite big once fully grown so I wonder if overstocking was part of the problem?

Did your wife flush out the tank, replace the gravel and add a new fish straight after the fish died?
If yes, this could be asking for trouble. Normally you leave the tank for a week or two so if there's a disease in it, it dies off before new fish are introduced.

If there was ammonia problems, then adding a new fish to a clean tank will probably see the same thing happen unless you have an established biological filter in/ on the tank.

You mention burn medication. I don't know of any medications that are designed to help chemical burns on fish.
What is the medication called?

You mention burn medication. I don't know of any medications that are designed to help chemical burns on fish.
What is the medication called?

I'm guessing it's going to one of those ones that claims to deal with ammonia. When water changes rather than a product are what are really needed. Plus a mature cycled tank of course.

Most reactions

Back