more fish (what to get)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

juanveldez

helping big fish eat little fish everyday
Reaction score
got a 75 gallon tank with 5 labidochromis caerulus and 3 auloncara maisoni I plan on getting two more females of each. but here is a list of what is in the tank right now and I was wondering if there was anything else that I can get

5 labidochromis caerulus
3 auloncara maisoni
2 common pelcs
1 sae

and all of this is in a 75 gallon tank

uck i dont like plecs in african tanks, but thats just my opinion, if i were you i would take out 1 or both of the plecos, algae will greatly promote breeding (as it seems you want), but with 2 common plecos, and a SAE algae wont have a chance.

for cichlids, i would add maybe an EB or 2, or some auratus, or E-Blue Johanis are really cool. or some red-top cobalt zbras, they might be the rulers of the tnak, but they wont kill anyone as long as you have rockwork (which i take it you do). you could try an eel or something, or some kind of invert, like Red crayfish to scavenge and eat fish poo.

I would get some Ps. demasoni if it were me. They are beautiful. You could get some johanni, socolofi, Ps zebra, Ps. lombardoi etc. All beautiful fish. auratus would work also but they tend to be hyperdominate and if you get one make sure it's the smallest of them all when you put it in.

like Red crayfish to scavenge and eat fish poo.

They don't eat fish waste. Nothing eats fish poop. :blink:

okay cichlidpersonality, I understand your point of view and as smb stated crawfish don't eat fish poo. now I like your list thank you for your input. as for breeding it is an added bonus unless any fry I get are female for the first couple of batches they are doomed.

That poor crayfish would get hammered?

To the suggested fish given, i say get a pair of each :)

juan,

As mentioned before,the lambardoi are really nice,auratus are too,but they are pretty mean,and with the placid carealaus (spelling?) they may ruff them up a bit once they grow.

also maybe some nim. linvingstoni or linni would add another dimension,as they are maybe not as bright as others,but are nice colouring/marking,and i feel they compliment the "nicer" fish.

only my opinion.

craw

yeah I used to have a N. Livingstionii but there are two reasons that I am not going to get another one. 1. size, they can grow up to 16"!!!!, and 2. I am hoping to keep the tank as a community tank and with the N. Livingstonii being Piscovorius(Spelling isn't the greatest) I am sure that it would only be a matter of time before there is only the Livingsonii in the tank

believe me the crayfish woudn't get hammered. they will fight back really well, if you've seen the big ones with my Green Sunfish (6 inches and would kill those malawi no question (but i still like malawi better). if a fish looks like it's gonna attack they just stand up straight and click their pinchers together and if the fish comes near them they will take a bite from the fish straight to the face and not even be fased, but they will pinch the fish and the fish unless very large wont try it again.

that is fine that yo keep a crayfish with wyou sun fish but my fish cost me more than any crayfish could ever be worth and I am not going to risk a stupid crayfish getting a nice cichlid meal

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back