molly look likes shes gonna drop agen

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Ben

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
HI

its been 26 days since my molly "Molly"(how original) had her first sucsesful batch of fry in my tank. she looks like shes gonna drop and i hear all the time hat thye drop every 28 days. so i wanna knwo wen i must put her in the breeder net and do they drop exactly every 28 days?

First, not all livebearers drop exactly in 21-28 days but most do! Usually the younger the female the more unpredictable the birth will be. Second, if she looks close to what she looked like before when she gave birth then i would add her to a seperate tank, divided area or a breeder box (beware these stress out females).

If you can provide enough cover for the fry in your community tank then perhaps you do not have to move her and just hunt for the fry when you see one. The majority of my molly fry hide in the plant mats at the bottom of the tank/my guppy fry at the top in floating mats. :)

ALASKA

hi

day 27.......im gettin nervous cuz shes showing all signs.the male is even chasing her and trying to get to her gravid spot like last time. i got whole bunch of plants at the top of my tank but nto much hiding space. im think of putting her in my 2 foot but that has some neons guppys and glass catfish wich i scared are gonna eat the babys.

Yeah, i forgot about keeping the pregnant mother in the community tank. If you got plenty of plants in your community tank then i would just leave her there. As for your other tank, if there is more fish and less hiding spaces then i wouldn't risk it. Almost everything eats newborn guppy fry.

Some of my mollies seem to drop every few weeks, but I have a couple fancy ones that are huge and only drop every 6-8 weeks. Odd no? But I suppose it's just the difference in species and fish health and happiness.

Most reactions

Back