molly ill, pH 8!

hellohefalump

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My female molly gave birth yesterday, all was well, then this morning I notice she's far less active than normal and breathing quite heavily. All the other fish are alright, including all the fry. I tested the water and the ph was 8!! I last tested the water three days ago and the pH was 7.2. I don't know how that happened, all I can think of is that it's a very new tank. I got it last week, but I used filter media from well established tanks and gravel... the temperature was too high at first (28C) but then I got the heater sorted and it's now a healthy 24-25C. How could my pH have got so high and what can I do about it?? I've moved Pierre back into her old tank and tested the water parameters in that tank and they are perfect. She's still very ill looking though.

I was thinking maybe Pierre was more subceptible to illness because she'd just given birth... there's another molly in there who's due to give birth any day now. Should I move her?

To be honest I'm not sure but livebearers apparently get infected ovaries sometimes. One of my female guppies died after giving birth :-( I'm sure you're doing all the right things though. Hope she's ok

I can't say exactly what's wrong with her but giving birth does tend to make them more susceptible to disease and generaly more vulnerable to bad water quality. I suggest you test all your water parameters and do a couple of water changes.

The pH change is worrying. It could be due to a number of things. For a start, a high oxygen content can raise pH and more oxygen can be in cold water than in warm so lowering the temp. may have played a part in this. However, have you checked your tap water's pH? I suggest you do this and also try putting some tap water in a bucket with an airstone for a couple of hours and then test that too. Is there anything in your tank that may be leeching chemicals into the water? Do you have any rocks or substrate that might raise pH or buffer your water?

very strange... I just tested the pH this morning and it's back down where it should be - 7.2 or thereabouts... Pierre is doing fine now, she quickly recovered when I put her into the other tank. All is good, thanks for the help! Sylvia I tested my tap water, it's ok though so it wasn't that. Must've been the lowering of the temparature... or maybe just because it's a new tank (although there hasn't been an ammonia spike).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back