Mini cycle?

jonnyc88

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Since the completion of medication in my tank Iā€™ve noticed that there are Nitrites in the water.
Iā€™ve been doing about 50-60% water changes daily for 5 days now.
Initially there were very low (<0.25ppm) levels of Ammonia but after Day 3 it was consistently zero.
However Nitrites seems to remain about 0.25ppm.

Iā€™ve been adding recommended dosage of Seachem Prime and Stability after each water change.

Should I keep up with the daily water change until Nitrites are zero?

Also, would it help if I keep my tank temp at say 25 Celsius/77 Fahrenheit?

Finally, would reducing feed help?

Why are you adding stability to the tank if youā€™re using prime?

Itā€™s possible that if you test the water very soon after adding prime and or stability you will get false readings due the makeup ingredients of those Seachem products.

Wait at least 12 hours, preferably 24 hours after adding prime to test your tank water parameters, that way you should have a definitive answer.

Might be worth testing your tap water as well to see if that has any ammonia or nitrite which could account for your readings.

Why are you adding stability to the tank if youā€™re using prime?

Itā€™s possible that if you test the water very soon after adding prime and or stability you will get false readings due the makeup ingredients of those Seachem products.

Wait at least 12 hours, preferably 24 hours after adding prime to test your tank water parameters, that way you should have a definitive answer.

Might be worth testing your tap water as well to see if that has any ammonia or nitrite which could account for your readings.
Thanks for the reply.

Prime is my usual dechlorinator. I'm adding Stability to boost the bacteria to hopefully help the cycle. Unless I'm doing it wrong?

I test after about 24 hours after a water change. If Nitrite is above 0ppm I will do a large water change, dose with Prime and Stability, wait 24 hours and test again.

edit: I also test for Nitrite about 15 minutes after water change and Nitrite is 0ppm.

My Test kit colours read:
0.25 Amm from tap
10 Nitrate from tap.
Just north of London.
As @Ch4rlie says that may be a contribution.

Still testing about 0.25ppm for Nitrite.
Ammonia is 0ppm and Nitrate is about 20ppm which is slightly higher than my tap water.
Does daily 50% water change stall the cycle?

You should not be doing water changes during a fishless cycle.

There is no need for water changes during this process, the only time one should change water is when you see nitrite getting too high, around 15ppm as this could cause the cycle to stall / crash.And obviously if the cycle stalls or crashes then one should do a 100% water change to restart the cycle.

If you do a successful cycle then the only water change you do is to change the water before adding livestock.

You should not be doing water changes during a fishless cycle.

There is no need for water changes during this process, the only time one should change water is when you see nitrite getting too high, around 15ppm as this could cause the cycle to stall / crash.And obviously if the cycle stalls or crashes then one should do a 100% water change to restart the cycle.

If you do a successful cycle then the only water change you do is to change the water before adding livestock.
Sorry, meant to say I have fish in plus live plants.
Tank was cycled but I suspect the medication and thorough clean disrupted it.

Ah, sorry, thatā€™s fine in that case.

Think I got this thread mixed up with another one about cycling, but no worries, someone will learn from reading that post ;) :lol:

Then daily 50% water changes will not stall the cycle, it will slow it down a little but not stall it is all.

Most reactions

trending

Back