milky water

macssafc

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
oh this is terrible.
i got in from work about 1 hour ago and my tank is a whitish colour and ive lost most of my fish. 2 clown loaches, 4 neon tetras, 2 angel fish.
i did a water change before i went to work put new filters in cleaned the gravel and ive come back to this.

ive had the tank for about 9 months and ive not had a single problem what have i done wrong?

ive got 2 zebra danio's 2 spotted danios 2 dwarf gouramis 3 platy's and a neon left but the tank is still cloudy...
will i lose the rest by the morning or if i dont is there anything i can do to save them?
i wish i came home early today..

yours
steve

well first off u shouldnt have done all that to the biological side of the tank, changeing water, cleaning gravel AND changing filter media all at once are not a good thing to do, alot of people make this mistake, what are your water parameters? that will help us

Hi macssafc :)

Could you have forgotten to dechlorinate the water, or could something from your kitchen area gotten into it? :unsure: It might be a bacterial bloom, but this seems to be way out proportion to the bacteria lost in cleaning.

In addition to the beneficial bacteria that live in the filter, there are many more that live in the gravel. Since these bacteria cling to the surfaces, they would not be removed by just vacuuming. Even with a filter change there should still be enough in the tank to have maintained the cycle.

Do you have test kits to check your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings? This would be most helpful in determining the way to go to resolve the problem.

BTW, Welcome to the forum! :hi:

ive done a nitrate test and its 0.8ml so its very high i know, i dont know anything else as i cant test for them well atleast till the shops open. 5 hours have past and the fish are still alive but there not in good shape and the water is still cloudy.

i did use cycle, stress coat nd easy balance when i did the change.

thanks for the help

ive since been to a fish shop and it looks like my problem is self inflicted.
while i was changing the water i gave the thermostat a clean also
i must have turned up the heat.

i know that ive goto do a 50% water change and double the nitrite dose to bring the water back it is calming down the water is getting better and the fish seem happier.

what i would now like to know is how long will it take before i can restock and will this give me anyproblems.

btw ive been told i might get white spot now what are the symptoms?

My water went milky and i found a fish (danio) dead in the filter unit.
None others have died yet.
Did a water change.
Gouarmis got white spot. Turned heat up to 30 to kill it off. Seems to be working :cool:

following on from my disaster is this

i see that my dwarf gourami female is slowly dying she was ill before and its a shame shes begining to lean to her side and she dosent move much now.
i cant see any problems on her fins or scales apart from looking discolored
ie dull as oposed to being a beautifull blue.

i dont think she will last the night but i hope and pray for a miracle.

:( :(

Why not take the fish out of the tank and put them in another container until the tank settles down?

You can use a heating pad for heat.

my gourami has lasted but she's still sick

could it be skin flukes

Most reactions

Back