Male Severum + Female Parrot

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

cmv itp

Reaction score
Can a male severum breed with a female parrot cichlid ? If this is posible i would like to see some pics !!!

Can a male severum breed with a female parrot cichlid ? If this is posible i would like to see some pics !!!

yes,

considering a parrot cichlid is a Severum cross anyway I'd guess if they bred they would have the shape of the Parrot with the colours of the Sev

hhmmm interesting . somebody thought il take a beautiful severum cross it with something else to create an ugly monstrosity. just out of interest does anybody know what it is they crossed with the sev to make the parrot?

I do not agree with that. I don't see any resemblance to a severum or midas in my two parrots. I think parrots instead resemble convicts mixed with something. I think if midas were part of what make a blood parrot hybrid, that the size of either two fish would be present more commonly. What I mean by that is that every parrot hybrid would be huge within two years of owning one.

It's kind of stupid that I base my opinion off of owning only two parrots of my own. But I see more full grown parrots the size of my fist than I see the size of a red devil. It's funny this question came up, I actually was wondering the same thing. I have a severum with my pair of parrots and my male severum sort of ignores the two parrots, except when its feeding time.

With that being said, for the sake of this topic, if the OP has a severum and a parrot, and they breed and produce fry, I would love to see it. In fact, I would pay money for some of the fry. I think hybrids are cool and I think it would be something different to look at. Just think, a parrot hybrid with the coloring of a severum would be crazy.

There's definitely people on this forum that disagree with what I just wrote and who hate hybrids, but what are they doing reading this anyways? It would be like hating the TV show Scrubs, but then going home to watch the last episode on Tivo.

BobRoss

yes,

considering a parrot cichlid is a Severum cross anyway I'd guess if they bred they would have the shape of the Parrot with the colours of the Sev
thank u for reply. i shall put the two together then alone in my 250L tank. i let u know what happens.wish me luck

No severums cannot cross with parrots. They are far too distantly related. I actually had a large male red sev that was paired with a parrot and they never produced viable fry.

Also convicts are not in the mix when it comes to creating parrots. Again I have had a parrot and con breed and produce offspring and they resembled large mutant convicts.

Parrots are most likey created using midas/red devil and red head cichlid (synspillium).

No severums cannot cross with parrots. They are far too distantly related. I actually had a large male red sev that was paired with a parrot and they never produced viable fry.

Also convicts are not in the mix when it comes to creating parrots. Again I have had a parrot and con breed and produce offspring and they resembled large mutant convicts.

Parrots are most likey created using midas/red devil and red head cichlid (synspillium).

Parrots are a cross between a Midas Cichlid and a Red Devil, atleast thats what I've read anyway. Oh and ~T~ just to correct your answer about severums not crossing with parrots, I came home last night to find my Gold Sev & Parrot guarding a rock that was covered in eggs, the Parrot was the one that laid the eggs, atleast now I know there sex lol. The eggs are white so I think they are fertilised so I am gonna move them today so another tank so the fish don't try and eat them.

Parrots are a cross between a Midas Cichlid and a Red Devil, atleast thats what I've read anyway. Oh and ~T~ just to correct your answer about severums not crossing with parrots, I came home last night to find my Gold Sev & Parrot guarding a rock that was covered in eggs, the Parrot was the one that laid the eggs, atleast now I know there sex lol. The eggs are white so I think they are fertilised so I am gonna move them today so another tank so the fish don't try and eat them.

White is bad it means that are infertilised I hope they lay again for you. :good:

White is bad it means that are infertilised I hope they lay again for you. :good:

actually quite glad you said that cause I really can't be bothered messing about with another tank to put eggs in lol

Parrots are not a cross between a midas and red devil. In fact most red devils/midas sold these days are actually a mix of both fish. Also you didnt correct me, I didnt say they wouldnt try and cross I said they cannot produce viable fry. Sevs and parrots will pair up and even produce a batch of eggs(its fairly common) but the fry will not hatch as the 2 species are not closley related.

Most reactions

Back