Low tech EI dosing.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

wtusa17

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So Iā€™m interested in the nilocG diy dry ferts for the EI dosing. I donā€™t think my tank will need daily dosing. Could I possibly dose macros one day a week and micros one day a week?

So Iā€™m interested in the nilocG diy dry ferts for the EI dosing. I donā€™t think my tank will need daily dosing. Could I possibly dose macros one day a week and micros one day a week?
It depends on the plants you have and how much they feed and what they eat and how they eat it.
If ones plants arent showing any signs of nutrient deficiency(pinholes, yellow tips...) Then there is no need to dose dry ferts.
If the majority of ones plants are root feeders instead of shoot feeders than dry ferts are going to have a minimal effect.
If ones light arent strong enough to drive increased photosynthesis then the extra nutrients will just be used by algae.
The schedule of dosing and what nutrients to dose is dependant on the needs of your plants. Where as if one has a plant like a Valus that needs calcium and one is deficient in that all the extra nitrates or potassium arent going to help as much.

EI is by definition a high tech technique with the sole purpose of maximising plant growth.
Without high lighting, high flow and CO2 you are likely to have an imbalance with algae being the most likely outcome.

You would be better off using root tabs for root feeders and if necessary a liquid supplement for minerals (sorry I used to use EI years ago but can't remember which is macro and which is micro :)). In any event if you have fish, or livestock fertilisation (i.e. NPK) is unlikely to be needed as the fish will provide enough to balance the light and Co2.

EI is by definition a high tech technique with the sole purpose of maximising plant growth.
Without high lighting, high flow and CO2 you are likely to have an imbalance with algae being the most likely outcome.

You would be better off using root tabs for root feeders and if necessary a liquid supplement for minerals (sorry I used to use EI years ago but can't remember which is macro and which is micro :)). In any event if you have fish, or livestock fertilisation (i.e. NPK) is unlikely to be needed as the fish will provide enough to balance the light and Co2.
Ok. This tank isnā€™t low tech. It has a carpet, bright lights, and diy co2 but I ordered the pressurized system for it. I was asking that if my tank only needs dosing once instead of 3 times a week could I just adjust how much I dose?

Macro- NPK nitrogen phosphate potassium
Micro- everything else :)

Ok. This tank isnā€™t low tech. It has a carpet, bright lights, and diy co2 but I ordered the pressurized system for it. I was asking that if my tank only needs dosing once instead of 3 times a week could I just adjust how much I dose?
Sorry - misunderstood the question, ignore my post. I only ever did macros and micros on alternative days with one rest day per week. Eventually gave it up because I got fed up with the amount of time I was spending on gardening so concentrated on fish instead :)

My guess is the only way to know for sure would be to test (thereby losing the EI benefit). You should be able to establish a suitable routine within a few weeks and then stop testing.

Sorry - misunderstood the question, ignore my post. I only ever did macros and micros on alternative days with one rest day per week. Eventually gave it up because I got fed up with the mount of time I was spending on gardening so concentrated on fish instead :)

My guess is the only way to know for sure would be to test (thereby losing the EI benefit). You should be able to establish a suitable routine within a few weeks and then stop testing.
No problem. Same with me dosing everyday seems like a lot so I want to modify it to only once or twice a week

Macro- NPK nitrogen phosphate potassium
Micro- everything else :)

Interested to know if this is how the EI method classifies nutrients for some reason...because there are more macro-nutrients required by plants than these three. Here they are:

Macro Nutrients: calcium, carbon, hydrogen, magnesium, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorus, potassium, sulphur.

Micro Nutrients: boron, iron, chlorine, nickel, copper, manganese, molybdenum, zinc.

I researched into the principle of EI but no further because the principle is risky if not dangerous for fish so I had no further interest in learning how they combine stuff.

Interested to know if this is how the EI method classifies nutrients for some reason...because there are more macro-nutrients required by plants than these three. Here they are:

Macro Nutrients: calcium, carbon, hydrogen, magnesium, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorus, potassium, sulphur.

Micro Nutrients: boron, iron, chlorine, nickel, copper, manganese, molybdenum, zinc.

I researched into the principle of EI but no further because the principle is risky if not dangerous for fish so I had no further interest in learning how they combine stuff.
Yup i agree the EI method shouldnt be used with fish, the high doses arent suitable, but its really good for growing plants.
I think carbon is part of the macro in EI and then NPK and rest considered the rest micros.
I agree though plants need all those other things too im assuming the EI classifies npk as the macros as in the method as thats whats used most to grow plants, im not sure though nut EI keeps the nitrates and Co2 pretty high with around 20ppm for nitrates and 30ppm for CO2 neither of which is good for fish but really good for plants.

Sorry - misunderstood the question, ignore my post. I only ever did macros and micros on alternative days with one rest day per week. Eventually gave it up because I got fed up with the amount of time I was spending on gardening so concentrated on fish instead :)

This sounds similar to my experience. I was spending so much time dosing and trimming and buying replacing co2 to keep the plants growing( because plants are good for fish) that i was putting the needs of the plants ahead of my fish in my planted fish tank.
I think it can be a tricky balance. I guess it comes down to does one want a plant tank or a fish tank with some plants because having a tank where the plants are numero uno isnt sustainable for the fish, great for plants not for fish.
My approach now is more about finding a good balance for the fish and plants where both can thrive, im still learning to accomplish that but feel its going well so far. Byron has been a big help

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back