Loosing Color- White Gills?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Jen21

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
A couple of my swordtails have whitish gills and are loosing their color on their bottom. I'm sure its a result of bad water conditions because I have been having problems with my heater. I have been doing frequent water changes. The fish are laying low on the bottom and breathing heavy. Will they get better with a little salt and water changes, or do they need meds? Thanks in advance.

Can you post test results in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph, how big is the tank, what fish and which type, are they flicking and rubbing against objects, can you see any parasites on the body of the fish or the gill area.

All tests were normal except for slighly low ph. I have been treating the tank for ich for a few days. I have been having serious temp. fluctuation because my heater broke, thats why they had ich. So I have been do water changes daily with the ich meds. Now the temp is at 78 degrees and the fish seem to be doing well except for the few with the whitish gills and bottom. Can too much ich meds harm them? Im going to continue for 2 more days with the ich med just to be sure they dont get it again. The tank is 30 gallons, no flicking or parasites, just a few immobile fish (one preggo) laying low on the bottom.

You have put the correct amount of meds in the water and not over dosed.

I'm actually underdosing the ich meds, and adding the stress coat. Will this condition go away with time and stable water conditions, or will I need meds?

Just keep an eye on them,going pale un there bottom do you mean under there bellies.

Yes, I mean on their bellies. And on their gills are going pale. The two that have it the worst are hiding, and Im a bit worried because she is very big and pregnant, I dont want her to be stressed. Thanks for the quick reply.

Look at the link as I think that's what your fish have with the stress due to the tempreture flucuations.

Most reactions

Back