Looks like ick, but fluffy?

abe

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, I recently set up my new 40g tank. I don't think Ive had much of a cycle (I used old filter media/gravel), but I put in some amonia removing stuff anyway. In the past week I've lost 3 neon/cardinal tetras, and I noticed tonight that my black molly has white fluffy looking spots over her. Kinda like a combo of ich & fungus?

I haven't really been home much to notice any other symptoms, as my boyfriend is really sick in the hospital (i'll post about this in the general area, please read). I saw on this forum that velvet looks like ich, but the spots appear dusty, but i thought it was a yellowish dusting?

I don't know... any help is greatly appreciated though

Pretty much, only it's not as widespread. Like little dots of fuzz.

What should I treat it with? Something that is catfish & loach safe?

Just saw you were a fellow pennsylvanian! Cheers.

Columnaris needs to be medicated quickly since it can be a devastating disease. I recommend Mardel's Maracyn or Jungle's Fungus Clear. Jungle's stuff is cheaper and has worked well for me. Just bought some Maracyn Two since it was highly touted, but I haven't had the chance to use it yet.

yup, yay for pennsylvania :) I'm a bit north of you I believe.

I think I have some Fungus Clear tabs from jungle, I'm kinda debating if I should treat the whole tank or not. I also have Furan-2 but I'm not sure if that is catfish safe.

Yellowish golden colour is velvet, its a parasite, you will need to treat with a velvet or whitespot treatment, good luck.

I would treat the whole tank. Columnaris - if that is the case - will be throughout tank, especially on food that falls into the substrate. Look up some pics of velvet disease on the net too, just to make sure you have the right diagnosis, but 'fuzz' sounds like columnaris.

Jungle's box says it's safe for f/w fish, and there's no mention of copper, so it sounds catfish-safe.
Good luck

Most reactions

Back