looking for a heavier, bigger volume air pump for my aquaponic set up...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Actually think that one is actually "too big" ( a man actually said a pump is "too big" ??? ) it's about 10 times bigger than mu current pump, which is struggling to get enough air pushed through 3 foot deep water... I found one similar that is pushing 6 times more air... I think that should work... I am wanting to put 2 stones per tank ( 3 tanks )

3 foot of water puts a lot of back pressure on average air pumps. A bigger unit will help and you can bleed excess air off. If you get a pump that is too small, it will always struggle.

The best way to use big pumps is to make a loop (circle, square or rectangle, doesn't matter what shape) out of 1-2 inch diameter pvc pipe. You can use black poly pipe (irrigation tube) too if you like. Attach the pump to the loop by some hose and joiners, and the air will circulate around the loop of piping. You get more even pressure all round. Then you tap into the loop and put brass or plastic airline taps into the pipe. Airline goes from the taps to the tanks/ ponds.

If you have too much air, you open a tap a bit to let some excess out. Have a meter or so of airline on any open taps so you don't hear the hiss.

this one caught my eye...

any other suggestions???
Hello. Excellent choice. I have a smaller version of this pump and it can easily run the sponge filters for two 55 gallon tanks at once.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
been looking at this type of manifold...
instead of the traditional one, with all the tubes the same size

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Magnum. You don't need to buy separate valves. The valve attachment that comes with the pump allows you to turn off the valves you don't need and just run those you do. An air pump this size will run several air stones or sponge filters at once. You will probably need to buy more tubing. I've used many different air pumps over the years and this one is the best if you keep multiple tanks.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

actually that is the "type" of valve that comes with the pump, so I won't be buying one separately ( wish I would have seen that style before I bought a traditional smaller manifold tube gang valve for my aquarium room in the basement ).. that post was mostly for the benefit of Colin to show that it uses bigger 8mm air line, & has a manifold tube bigger than the outlet valves for greater efficiency

@tanks... since you have used this type of pump... are they much louder than a traditional diaphragm pump??? it won't matter in my case, since that will be used outside, on my Tilapia aquaculture tanks

actually that is the "type" of valve that comes with the pump, so I won't be buying one separately ( wish I would have seen that style before I bought a traditional smaller manifold tube gang valve for my aquarium room in the basement ).. that post was mostly for the benefit of Colin to show that it uses bigger 8mm air line, & has a manifold tube bigger than the outlet valves for greater efficiency

@tanks... since you have used this type of pump... are they much louder than a traditional diaphragm pump??? it won't matter in my case, since that will be used outside, on my Tilapia aquaculture tanks
Magnum. Yes. A more powerful air pump is going to be louder. The pump is packaged in styrofoam. So, I just set the pump on top of a piece of the styrofoam and it's a bit quieter. I use one of these in my outside trough tank to run my aeration equipment and it works great even when it's cold outside. This is by far the best air pump I've use in all my years in the "water keeping" hobby.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back