Liquid Co2, Moss, Crypts And Shrimp.

JonE

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Evening All

I've recently setup a Fluval Spec nano (7.6L) as a planted shrimp tank and have a few questions about dosing liquid CO2.

Tank as it currently stands.

PC276591-1.jpg

The tank currently has Christmas moss, Java moss and Java fern and I'm dosing JBL nano moss fertiliser, I'm planning some more moss, Cryptocoryne wendtii 'brown' and maybe some Staurogyne repens I was thinking of adding some Pogostemon helferi but don't think the standard light on the Spec will be enough for it.

My questions are;

Will liquid CO2 make much difference to the plants listed?

Is liquid CO2 shrimp safe?

and has anyone got any other suggestions for plants for a low light, low tech nano?

Cheers

Jon

liquid carbon can make a difference. also dosing ferts would. but that depends on your lights. as your going for a low tech tank i dont think carbon would help. ferts would though (could be wrong)

im fairly sure liquid carbon is safe for shrimp. long if guided amounts are used.

to be honest i like that tank a lot i dont think it needs more plants :good:

If your gonna use CO2 then you need decent ferts otherwise the CO2 won't be used, tbh with your plant list and low tech you could get away with a tank full of shrimp, low tech plants and never needing to dose and rare water changes once mature.

Thanks for the comments and fast replies. Maybe I'll leave the CO2 and ferts for now then, I like the idea of a low tech, low maintenance setup.

Mike, I was planning on moving the pebble with the Java fern on forward and into the middle so it sort of sits with/behind the other pebbles then adding the Crypt where the Java fern is now hopefully it will look good and not too cramped.

Cheers

Jon

No real need for the liquid carbon mate, but some general fertiliser will. As I said in your other thread, a few nice darker coloured crypts would look good.

Nice little set up that
good.gif

I don't know much about these little tanks, is the filter intake at the top; at the back ? Your water level barely seems to reach?
I like the contrast between the pebbles & dark substrate.

No real need for the liquid carbon mate, but some general fertiliser will. As I said in your other thread, a few nice darker coloured crypts would look good.

Cheers mate, my local P@H have got some Cryptocoryne petchii in and I've got a voucher so I might pop down there later and grab a pot, I also need to get some tweesers or something to plant them I wonder if this will be any good.

Nice little set up that
good.gif

I don't know much about these little tanks, is the filter intake at the top; at the back ? Your water level barely seems to reach?
I like the contrast between the pebbles & dark substrate.

Thanks for the comments theres some more pics here if you fancy a look.

Theres a filter intake at the bottom on the back but I've been warned to keep the level topped up as the intake is so small it can empty the filter chamber before it refills. The tank has been topped up since taking the pics.

Cheers mate, my local P@H have got some Cryptocoryne petchii in and I've got a voucher so I might pop down there later and grab a pot, I also need to get some tweesers or something to plant them I wonder if this will be any good.

'Petchii' is a good one, tall slender leaves will work well for you.You'll get about 9 plants per Tropica pot at P@H if you pick a nice full one.

Theres a filter intake at the bottom on the back but I've been warned to keep the level topped up as the intake is so small it can empty the filter chamber before it refills. The tank has been topped up since taking the pics.

I was searching for a polite way to say, top your tank up.
laugh.gif

Cool, I'll pick a pot up soon then. How far apart should I plant them also will I need to get any root tabs for them the substrate is just fine gravel.

Cheers

Jon

Root tabs are not really necessary mate, but obviously help. I would go with tropica or wendtii brown to give contrast personally.

And plant them closely together. :good:

Also, trim their roots before you add them.

Evening All

I went to P@H earlier and picked up some Crypts 'Tropica' and 'Petchii' I then got home and realised I didn't have a clue what I was doing or exactly where I wanted them, but after some messing about and a bit of cursing this is what I ended up with

PC296646-1.jpg

PC296647-1.jpg

PC296657-1.jpg

What do you think? Does it look too crowded now? I'm hoping the 'Tropica' at the back will grow up nicely to fill the void between the pieces of wood.

I'll add some more pics to my other thread when I've got some more time.

Cheers

Jon

The leaves will melt mate in a day or two, and leave you with some new lush growth when it starts to regenerate. Once the moss grows up and covers the stems of the Crypts a little it will look much better. It does look a little crowded, i would just stick with Tropica personally. :unsure:

Most reactions

Back