Limescale on silicone seals

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Sik-lid_dude

Reaction score
Hi all,

I need some advice on these seals, hopefully you can see the pictures. I bought this tank recently and there is limescale all over it. I'm worried will the tank bust or leak due to the lime ale seeping into the silicone seals?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20231204_202649.jpg
    20231204_202649.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 13
I wouldn’t worry about it and I also wouldn’t try to scrape or rub it off . That might make matters worse . As it sits filled with water the deposits will slough off on their own in time . If it really bothers you then fill it with water with some white vinegar added and give it a few days to see what happens .

I you can feel with your finger that lime scale have built "outside" the tank by running your fingers along the seals.

it's already leaking.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t worry about it and I also wouldn’t try to scrape or rub it off . That might make matters worse . As it sits filled with water the deposits will slough off on their own in time . If it really bothers you then fill it with water with some white vinegar added and give it a few days to see what happens .
Thank you so much, I can actualy go to sleep in peace now😭 I've already gotten off some limescale from other areas with white vinigar(without beibg too rough). The rest doesn't bother me, so I'll just leave it!

I you can feel with your finger that lime scale have built "outside" the tanks by running you fingers along the seals.

it's already leaking.
Luckily no limescale on the outside of the tank! Thanks for that tip though. I've got soft water in my area, compared to where the tank came from which was a hard water area. I guess u cab keep an eye out for moisture around the seal areas?

Vinegar, huh? I've never had this issue but would have guessed baking soda. Don't really know why I would have guessed baking soda but would have done so. :dunno: Learn something new every day. :)

Vinegar, huh? I've never had this issue but would have guessed baking soda. Don't really know why I would have guessed baking soda but would have done so. :dunno: Learn something new every day. :)
White vinegar or baking soda - either will work but I think the white vinegar is a bit milder . Don’t know that for a fact but I think I heard that somewhere .

Luckily no limescale on the outside of the tank! Thanks for that tip though. I've got soft water in my area, compared to where the tank came from which was a hard water area. I guess u cab keep an eye out for moisture around the seal areas?
If your water is pretty soft the scale will melt on itself and also once wet it doesn't flash as much.

Most reactions

Back