Leopard Danio's

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

tuna

Reaction score
I woke up this morning and one of my leopards was missing. Had a good rumage around but I couldn't find it anywhere.
Do you think the others could have eaten it? I looked for bones and fins but there's no a trace.
I have been feeding them a bit less recently because I'm cycling and the levels are high.
One of the panda's died too the other day and there was some plant distrubance.
Do you think there could have been some kind of territorial show down?

firstly
what fish are in the tank and what size is it?
how old is the tank?
what are the fish symptoms?
it could be burried but we need to find out why your fish are dying!

tank is 2ft by 10"
tank did contain 4 leopards and 4 Panda catfish.
Tanks about three or four weeks old and there were no fish in it for a couple of weeks just plants.
Fish seem fine, nothing seems wrong with them.

ok then it sounds klike it could be your water
did you do a fishless cycle?because if you didnt then your tank will have extremly bad water quality,the fish proberbly got burried under the gravel or lost inbetween the plants.Do you have any water test results?

What, do you think there was some kind of fish funeral, or it got buried alive? just had another look and I couldn't see any gravel piled up and it's not amongst the plants.
Not too keen on the idea of it been buried because that will effect the water when it decomposes.
Yep the water quality is bad at the moment but once the cycle is done it’ll get better.
I used bottled water to do 15% tank changes but the bloke at the fish shop says don’t bother because it will only prolong the cycle, just don’t feed the fish too often.

how do you mean your water is bad? whats are your stats? i.e ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? these are the biggies when you are cycling.
Are you doing daily water changes of 10-20%?
even every second day is okay.

Some fish die during the cycling process. Danios are usually one of the hardiest you can cycle with, but if you had a weak one, it could easily have died and been eaten completely during the night. Bones and all !

Do not use bottled water for the water changes. Bottled water (though stripped from chlorine) is also stripped from all the good things too. And if you don't add that back you have no "buffer" and your PH will swing. That's dangerous for fish and that's more than likely the problem you are dealing with.

Do a 20% water change every other day - with tap water that has dechlorinator and perhaps something like Stress Zyme added to it.

Good luck.

WE have lost a glass catfish and an aquatic frog and never found them yet - the tank has been thoroughly cleaned and we found not a trace of either. However - the nitrate levels did start to peak for a few days afterwards so I guess that they were eaten or decomposing somewhere.

Seeing as your tank isn't yet cycled, I am not the slightest bit surprised you lost/are losing a cory. Panda's are very fragile when it comes to bad water. Using bottled water is also a terribly bad idea. However, the danio may have jumped if you can't find it. I have lost a efw like this myself and, in those cases, I even had a hood. The smallest hoels - like those for the wires - may be a place through which your fish can commit suicide. It's a good idea to block them.

Hey syliva you were right, just found it on the floor at the back of the tank.
Thanks for everyones help!

Verdict: Suicide

I've only got two pandas left now and a dwarf rainbow fish died the other day too. That was a nice fish, i want to get some more of them, but a lot of fish shop don't sell them, which is a shame because they are really nice.
I've put some norman's lamp eyes in there they seem to be doing ok, weird eyes though! Must freak out the other fish!

:byebye:
My kids said our danio was missing thismorning, I just said it was bound to be hidden in the plants. The silly thing had been swimming in behind the filter for fun and I found it thismorning. It had been sucked into the vent at the back and must have died of shock. New baby Stephen vanished too, I suppose eaten.
I suppose it can only get better.... :byebye:

Most reactions

Back