laybyrinth fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

wrs

Michelle's Hot
Reaction score
can gouramis breath above water like bettas? what would be a minimum size tank for them? kissing gouramis seem nice, what are they like?

gouramis can breathe normal air like bettas cause they have that same labyrinth organ. gouramis come in all different sizes but they all like a good amount a room. I would have at least a 20 gallon for gouramis but you might be able to get away with a 10 gallon. :dunno:

Oh no... gouramis need airation just like barbs and other fish. In fact, IMHO, I think that bettas need at least a little airation as well. But to answer your question, gouramis need that same type of enviroment as any other freshwater fish.

The labyrinth organ on gourami is not as efficient as with bettas. They actually need fairly clean, aerated water. Tank size depends on the type, as sizes vary greatly. The Kissing gourami is, in fact one of the largest. I wouldn't put one in less than 40 gallons. You could keep dwarf gourami in a 10g, but that's it. Most gourami (pearl, blue, etc.) would appreciate 29g tanks and larger. My two pearls are quite happy in their 29g and spend much of their time in breeding color.

HTH! :thumbs:

Yeah, I have to agree, the kissing gourami needs quite a bit of space and it isn't the friendliest in the gourami family. The pearl is lovely but I'd not keep them in anything smaller then 20 plus.

ALASKA

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back