Lava Rock

weAREtheirVOICE

Reaction score
I recently became inspired to start a freshwater tank for a betta fish I rescued, but have limited funding for new decor for the tank. I have some pieces of lava rock that are currently in my saltwater tank, and was wondering if it would be at all possible to cleanse them of any salt or other contaminates they may have picked up along the way. My biggest concern is removing the salt, with the rock being so porous this is an obvious issue. The organic life in it should be minimum, since it's known not to support most saltwater organisms. Is there any technique I can use to leach the salt from it? Or should I consider it a lost cause and not risk it? Any advice would be much appreciated!

If you soak them in tap water, most of the salt would come back out in a few days -- especially if you changed the water 2 or 3 times.

Don't forget that any rock in a betta's tank should be smooth. If the lava rock is rough enough to snag a pair of tights/pantihose it could catch a betta's long fins. It's worth checking before you go to the trouble of soaking it.

Thanks for the tips, I'll make sure they're safe for him :] are there resins or anything I could coat them in that would be safe in the tank? I'd rather be safe than sorry, and if I could make them smooth while still keeping the look that would be fantastic.

Most reactions

Back