Know of any small Vegetarian Lizards?

kimbowee

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I just recently got a 10 gal tank and was thinking of maybe putting a small lizard or frog or sumthing in it. But I don't like bugs!! Does anyone have any ideas for a small lizard, preferably that does not require bugs as part of their diet. I can handle worms, but no crickets or small mammals. :sick: Something that won't get too big and can eventually be moved into a 20-30 gal comfortably.

Any ideas would be most appreciated!!! :D

Nope. Part of owning lizards is dealing with the live foods. Crested geckos WILL eat certain types of fruit based baby foods (mine loves "Fruit Medley"), but their diet NEEDS to be supplimented with the live insects. Now, some lizards will accept the freeze dried crickets ("Can O' Crickets"), but not most. They prefer to stalk/hunt their food, so if its not moving, they're not interested. You especially see this in geckos. I've tried the freeze dried crickets with my anoles, ignored them. They also ignored the live mealworms, they hardly moved.

Now, you can just go to your local Petsmart/Petco/etc and get a bag of say 10, twice a week, dump the whole bag into the tank, and never have to touch the crickets. Problem with that though is crickets need to be gutloaded before you feed them to your reptile. These stores often only do enough to keep the crickets alive, but don't also "feed" them right. Something you'd have to check on.

I get my live crickets, put them into a small spare fish tank, with a flat dish for the water gel and another for the cricket feed. You can also use a deep Rubbermaid type storage container. Have some cardboard eggcrate in there to give them more surface. Then when I need some, I carefully pick up a piece of eggcrate and shake it into a baggie or container, just until I get enough. Then I dust them with calcium dust and drop them into the lizard tank. Fairly simple process.

uromastic, hardwick sub species is smallish

Guess I am S.O.L. on a lizard then. I just can't do bugs, especially crickets. Don't know why but to me crickets are just as creepy as spiders. If it has more than 4 legs I don't like it. If one of those crickets got out of the tank somehow I wouldn't be able to sleep in my house until it was exterminated.

Furry food also isn't my thing. I am not aloud over at my friends house when he is about to feed his snake anymore because the 2 rats he bought to feed mysteriously disappeared the day before I got my 2 pet rats. :whistle:

I thought some species of Iguana were strickly vegetarian lizards. I know they are too big for what I have available but was hoping on some more ideas.

Thanks for the advice!

Most reactions

Back