Killi Id Please

Leahzebelle

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have had this killi for over a year now. can i have some reassurance as to what species?

DSCN3653.jpg

DSCN3651.jpg

Now in this one its eating a peice of algea wafer i put in for a cory, sometimes when i break them up she/he will nose dive at them and eat them whole.
DSCN3619.jpg

DSCN3464.jpg

GIANT mouth!
Bigmouth-Killy.jpg

Now i thought it was a Chapers Panchax because i read that the females have a lot less red coloring then males. So i figured mine was just a female that had grown a little over the normal size. But then i was looking at teh Six-Barred panchax.....and the blue panchax......and now im thoroughly confused! o_O She/He is very aggresive, eats live worms i put in there like a flipping pirhanna, and ate two guppies whole once when i made the fatal mistake of thinking theyd be ok. It literally jumps out of the water when i put in flakes and shrimps, leaping at least a half an inch and sometimes hitting the lid. I love my killer killi though. :shifty:

Aplocheilus lineatus Gold. They are nothing like Epiplatys Chaperi
http://epiplatys.de/epiplatys/ChaperichapA...anS-Gh00-8M.jpg
which are a great deal smaller and dont resemble each other in any respect.
Lineatus get very large, They have a huge cavernous mouth which they can open very wide so do not combine this species with small tetras and the like. (or guppies as you have already found out).
The six barred epiplatys or Ep.sexfaciatus is a monster 10cms (very large killifish) again looks nothing like Lineatus.
Tight fitting lid is essential as is with all killifish species. They will find even the smallest of exit routes. Gaps around pipework entering and exiting the aquarium can be blocked using some filter floss.
I hope this was of some help
Regards
BigC

Most reactions

Back