Keeping fish fry together

Beastije

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Is it doable to keep fry of multiple species in one grow out tank?
I have a cube, 40x40x40 cm, plants, leaves, surface plants, gentle flow, heater

I manage to have mountain minnows breed there, the eggs just hatched, I can see them on the top, near the surface plants. In another tank I also have bolivian rams, their eggs just hatched, they are in the wiggler state. From experience I know they wont grow up past few days of free swimming, because it is a community tank. I know moving them may or may not help with having them grow out, and for some time, they will fully stay on the bottom and from previous experience the minnows stay near the top.
Is it wise idea to combine these two fry for growing? It would be easier with feeding I think, as I only have like 6 minnow fry now in the whole 60 liters.
I also know in 5 weeks I could move the minnows to their adult tank, as that is the size they wont get eaten by parents. Granted 5 weeks the bolivian ram fry, they might be too large at that point, so maybe I should wait two three weeks for another batch of bolivian ram fry (they spawn regularly) and just keep them together for like two three weeks?
Just thinking out loud and will appreciate experience

Baby cichlids should be left with their parents for the first month or longer if the adults are still looking after them. baby cichlids usually stay near the bottom, whereas baby White Cloud Mountain minnows tend to live near the surface for the first few weeks.

You can mix them together in the same tank if they are the same size, but it is preferable to leave the cichlids with the parents.

Baby cichlids should be left with their parents for the first month or longer if the adults are still looking after them. baby cichlids usually stay near the bottom, whereas baby White Cloud Mountain minnows tend to live near the surface for the first few weeks.

You can mix them together in the same tank if they are the same size, but it is preferable to leave the cichlids with the parents.
You are saying if I were to remove the baby cichlids, it should be done with the parents or at least the female then.
In a community tank they do not survive and it is the feeding. I havent found a way how to feed them without attracting the swarm of rummynose/ember tetras and in the swarm the parents have no chance to guard. If I do not target feed them, the fry die off hunger. I will wait few weeks for the minnows to grow up then and move at least the mom with the eggs ideally, so I dont have to move the fry, to the cube as an experiment
Thanks

Both adult cichlids (mum and dad) should be moved to a separate tank before they have bred. Then let them have eggs and look after the fry in piece.

Both adult cichlids (mum and dad) should be moved to a separate tank before they have bred. Then let them have eggs and look after the fry in piece.
True that sounds way more natural

Since I have you here, could you give me two tips:
the paramecium cultures look good but I have issues collecting them, from the tests the water in them is not so good. I do not have a siphon, how do I move them to cleaner water, do you have any tips?

For microworm/walterworm cultures, I have some, specifically walter worms, that just do not want to climb up. How can I encourage more? I tried breadcrumbs, oats, sometimes a mix and feed them yeast every week and sometimes spray with water. Micro worms work almost always, but the walter just wont climb but you can see the culture is swarming with worms. I just cant collect. Pictured two of my walter worms containers

Attachments

• IMG_0210.JPG
    IMG_0210.JPG
    236.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0209.JPG
    IMG_0209.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0211.JPG
    IMG_0211.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 6
If one does a mom+baby displacement to another tank will the parent still recognize them?

If one does a mom+baby displacement to another tank will the parent still recognize them?
It should be mum, dad and babies. Both parents care for the young. If you do move the adults and fry at the same time, the adults will normally continue to care for the fry. However, the move can upset some fish and they ignore or kill the fry, so it's best to move them before they breed.

True that sounds way more natural

Since I have you here, could you give me two tips:
the paramecium cultures look good but I have issues collecting them, from the tests the water in them is not so good. I do not have a siphon, how do I move them to cleaner water, do you have any tips?

For microworm/walterworm cultures, I have some, specifically walter worms, that just do not want to climb up. How can I encourage more? I tried breadcrumbs, oats, sometimes a mix and feed them yeast every week and sometimes spray with water. Micro worms work almost always, but the walter just wont climb but you can see the culture is swarming with worms. I just cant collect. Pictured two of my walter worms containers
You can use a plastic container to scoop the infusoria out. I used a 2 litre icecream bucket and scooped up infurosia in water. then leave it for a few minutes to settle before carefully pouring most of the water out. You can buy micron screens online. They are very fine mesh netting that can be glued to a 6 inch diameter pvc pipe fitting to form a sieve. Then use that to scoop out the infusoria leaving all the water behind. Look for a 5-10 (maybe up to 20) micron screen or similar size. If the screen is too big (50 micron), a lot of infusoria will go through it.

Put a plastic spoon in the worm culture and let it sit on top. The worms sometimes crawl into the spoon and you can lift it out and wash it off in the aquarium.

Most reactions

Back