Just got a pair of blue rams

G_Sharky

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I just got a pair of blue rams today and I was happy that they are getting along with my Discus. However one of the rams is acting weirdly, he/she just recently pick the other side of my tank and is swimming up and down for awhile now, while the other ram has settled in nicely. Is this normal or is there something wrong?. I've heard a lot of storys about rams and their unexpected death, Has anybody ever bought a healthy looking rams that just died for no reasons?. Sorry for so many questions as i didn't do enough reading on this species, I was supposed to get some Apistogramma Nijsseni today but my LFS just got their new stock last night and wasn't selling it yet :( . I'm a little impatient and didn't wanna go home empty handed so I decided to get these nice rams....

Does the other Ram look paler than the other one that has settled?

If so he/she could be stressed from the move

It could be his swim bladdre is still off a bit after the journey, he should settle down. He may also be trying to get as much water through the gills as posible, I always ask for ammo-lock to be put in thebags with rams and discus etc, it can build up to toxic levels if more than one fish is in the bag.

Rams do have a habit of dying unexpectedly, I have pretty much given up looking for good quality healthy fish here, and they certainly arent the best choice for an impulse buy, I would watch them over a week or two, perhaps putting a deposit on them if they are good.

Put some stress coat in and darken the tank, he should be ok.

Ken

Ken_g_w said:
Put some stress coat in and darken the tank, he should be ok.
Thats kind of what I did, when you advised me to keep the light off for a while Ken (cheers for that advice) I did this for three days after the move. I also added Melafix and stress coat

And it all worked out this time.. well they have been in the tank three weeks and seem happy

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back