Issues With Mopani Wood

weAREtheirVOICE

Reaction score
I have two pieces of Mopani wood for my freshwater tank that I have been soaking for almost 4 weeks now. I have them in a 5gal bucket and have been changing the water regularly, but they're still leaking tannins. I could understand if they were larger, or there was a slight tint to the water still, but I'm not talking a slight tinge. The water is still the color of green tea, a golden/green that simply wont go away. I've tried repeatedly soaking it in steaming hot water, scrubbing it, even putting a filter in with it. What else can I do to speed up this process? Any suggestions?

Not much you can do, apart from keep soaking them, it is unlikely that the tannins will go for months. I would put it in as it is, the tannins are beneficial to most fish. And if you really hate the colour of the water, use carbon or seachem purigen, but these are only temporary and will need replacing to keep the water clear.

Green would be algae, the tannins are purely gold without any sign of green. Try keeping the bucket completely in the dark and see what colour the water goes then.

My wood changed the water for about 2 weeks only. I did not soak the wood before adding it to the aquarium or anything. Its a large bit of wood in a 40L tank too, so the effect would be noticeable. So as with the others, not sure its the wood....

It may have been the color of the bucket making it look slightly green. As I poured it out it was a golden color, just as dark as the first time I changed the bucket water x.x I would've expected it to get lighter over time with the soakings, but no such luck. If I go ahead and put it in, will the tannins stain my white sand at all?

It may have been the color of the bucket making it look slightly green. As I poured it out it was a golden color, just as dark as the first time I changed the bucket water x.x I would've expected it to get lighter over time with the soakings, but no such luck. If I go ahead and put it in, will the tannins stain my white sand at all?
I find that they do not.

From what I've read, it sounds as though the tannins will do more good than harm, so I went ahead and put it and my betta in. he seems thrilled to finally be out of that bowl :]

Most reactions

Back