Is Styrofoam The Same As Polystyrene?

Sweeden

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
As title really because Ive got 4" sheets at work and would love to do a decent background for my tank

[background=rgb(224, 224, 224)]Over time, the terms styrofoam and polystyrene have been mixed up and they are used interchangeably. However, there is a difference between both the terms. Styrofoam is actually a brand name owned by the Dow Chemical Company and it is made from polystyrene, and the process involves the use of extreme temperature and pressure. While polystyrene has higher density that doesn’t allow it to float on water, styrofoam can easily float on water because of lower density.[/background]
[background=rgb(224, 224, 224)]Polystyrene is used in making expanded polystyrene (EPS) that is used extensively in different industries. Polystyrene is used in making commonly used “foam” products such as wine shippers, coolers, box packages, molded end caps and corners and cups. It is also used in the construction industry for void filling and insulation.[/background]

[background=rgb(224, 224, 224)]Copied from a Google Search, it seems they a different.[/background]

Yet our cups, coolers etc are made from styrofoam lol

Regardless, i have used lots of different density foams in tanks...and it will float

Me Too, I always thought they were the same thing to be honest, I have made 2 x 3D backgrounds using Polystyrene, I stuck 1 of them inside the tank using aquarium sealer the other I stuck outside using waterproof tape, I was surprised the outside one looked very good so I left it like that.

So a yes to using polystyrene for a tank background?

Yes, if you want to make shapes like rock out of it I used a hot wallpaper scruder and gouged out nicks and crevices, I just kept holding the knife over the stove then made the marks in it, or if you have a primus stove that might be better.

Also make sure you seal the edges with the hot knife then little bits won't come off and go in the water.

Most reactions

Back