Is distilled water bad for fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Camillemj

Reaction score
If I were to use plain - no additives in my fish tank during water changes would it be bad?

Or would it be better to use tap water with AquaSafe (Tetra Aqua brand) water conditioner.
Could some one explain if water conditioners are important or more like nessisary.

You need to condtion the water or the clorine and other trace elements will lead to te death of your fish. Which btw I was reading your sig, get a new tank asap or the fish will die anyways. Zebras and barbs need to be in groups of 5 or 6 and your tank is only big enough for a betta. You would need atleast a 15-20 gallon for those fish.

Water conditioners are important to remove trace elements from water. Chlorine especially kills the bacteria in the tank that break down the harmful wastes your fish produce.

I think distilled water should be just fine (since it should be just water) but it wouldn't hurt to condition it to be safe since conditioners don't cost that much and if it did have a bad effect it could kill a lot of fish.

Unless your tap water is extremely bad I wouldn't waste your money on distilled water.

and frank is right, reconsider the fish you keep with that aquarium

Distilled water lacks minerals that fish can absorb via there gills .. also the low kH is not the best either for stabilizing pH ... the pH of distilled water is 6.0 NOT 7.0. It's to clean in other words !!

Good Day ... B)

Water conditioners help get rid of Chlorine & Chloramine which are dangerous to fish. These chemicals are added to make the water safe for human consumption.

If you only have a 3.5G tank, one bottle of aquasafe will last months and months, or until you get a bigger tank.

Thank you all very much. Sorry I didn't mention I do in fact use the Aqua safe, I was just wondering what it did. Thanks again

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back