Is Controsoil the Ultimate for Planted Tanks?

OldFishKeeper

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Twenty years ago (in the Olden Days), it was recommended to install a layer of Lateralite as the base with gravel on top for a planted aquarium. Worked fine for me for a number of years.

Now, what I call compressed soil (aka Controsoil and others) are the recommended substrates but, after a year, there is a problem (Houston).

Apparently, these "soils" breakdown in the course of a year. This leads to a muddy mess if one wants to replant or move plants. So, what are "those in the know's" recommendations?

Tear down a tank after a year and re-start it or?

Last edited:
Twenty years ago (in the Olden Days), it was recommended to install a layer of Lateralite as the base with gravel on top for a planted aquarium. Worked fine for me for a number of years.

Now, what I call compressed soil (aka Controsoil and others) are the recommended substrates but, after a year, there is a problem (Houston).

Apparently, these "soils" breakdown in the course of a year. This leads to a muddy mess if one wants to replant or move plants. So, what are "those in the know's" recommendations?

Tear down a tank after a year and re-start it or?
109 views and no responses? Doesn't anyone have any responses, silly or otherwise? Is this question beyond the scope of this Forum? Or, is everyone sleeping because of the excitement of the NFL Wildcard Playoffs?

I once talked to an aquascaper about substrate before. He basically told me that Controsoil is an okay substrate for planted tanks and that ADA is the better aquasoil.

With regards to aquasoil breaking down over time, they do. It usually takes about a year or two for the soil to be depleted of any nutrients. From what I noticed with aquascapers and the use of aquasoil in planted tanks is that they would have the tank up for a few months to a year, tear it down, and re-scape it using a new bag of soil. If you want to keep plants, but don't want to do the hassle of removing substrate, you can simply add root tabs to rooted plants and/or liquid fertilizers to any floating and epiphyte plants.

I once talked to an aquascaper about substrate before. He basically told me that Controsoil is an okay substrate for planted tanks and that ADA is the better aquasoil.

With regards to aquasoil breaking down over time, they do. It usually takes about a year or two for the soil to be depleted of any nutrients. From what I noticed with aquascapers and the use of aquasoil in planted tanks is that they would have the tank up for a few months to a year, tear it down, and re-scape it using a new bag of soil. If you want to keep plants, but don't want to do the hassle of removing substrate, you can simply add root tabs to rooted plants and/or liquid fertilizers to any floating and epiphyte plants.
Thanks for the response but, "being depleted of nutrients" is much different that that "adding root tabs" to a muddy substrate that still has nutrients but no consistency to stop the water from becoming cloudy. Maybe Aquasoil is different???

I will continue to look for another, more viable, solution.

Thanks for the response but, "being depleted of nutrients" is much different that that "adding root tabs" to a muddy substrate that still has nutrients but no consistency to stop the water from becoming cloudy. Maybe Aquasoil is different???

I will continue to look for another, more viable, solution.

Looks like I will be going with Seachem Flourite in future. When it's properties break down, at least I can add plant tabs or sticks to keep plants growing. Beats the heck out of tearing up a great, 75 gallon tank and starting over. At my age, I don't need any of that unless, of course, there is a better solution?

I use fluval stratum, which I think is a version of contrasoil. I’ve had it in at least one tank for over a year now and it’s fine. No muddy mess. It does get stirred up a bit when you arrange plants or what-not. But nothing a little siphon or waiting a few minutes for it to settle won’t fix

I'm coming late to this party because the title of the thread led me to think that opinions on a specific substrate ["controsoil" whatever that is (?)] were wanted and I've no idea what this "soil" is. Reading through the posts, I get a very different take, so here's my two cents.

Forget any so-called plant substrate, they are not really beneficial above inert sand or fine gravel, they have serious bacterial issues, and some are not safe for fish.

Flourite was mentioned...this is the only "plant" substrate I have ever tried, and it was not a good experience. Within a week I noticed the Corydoras panda and C. similis has no barbels, and one poor panda had even lost about a third of its lower jaw. All thanks to the roughness of Flourite; I chose this one over Eco-Complete because in my hand it did not feel rough--bad judgement. The cories recovered when moved to my tank with play sand, though the one panda remained without part of its lower jaw but was able to eat and lived some 7 years after this disastrous experience. I left the Flourite for two years, then tore the tank down and dumped the Flourite in a hole in the back garden. Same plants grew just as well with play sand for years after. Don't waste your money.

"Soi9l" as true dirt soil is obviously very messy, and cannot be disturbed, and should not be because of the significant risks of anaerobic and aerobic issues. The soil will be depleted of nutrients within the first year, so you are left with a substrate of no more benefit than sand. I don't really enjoy tearing down and rebuilding a tank every year, but that assume there is some actual value in plant growth. No one has convinced me there is. And the fish should be first, plants second. It is all well and good to say that soil is what occurs in natural habitats so it should be better than anything else, but this is not sensible thinking. The confines of an aquarium are very different from the natural world, though the same processes play out--but with often disastrous results.

Aquatic plants will grow equally well in almost any substrate except gravel that is large-grain. Sand is the best substrate for fish (with very few exceptions) and plants (with no exceptions). I'm glad I was coerced into trying sand about 10 years ago; it was one of the best decisions I ever made respecting my aquaria.

My old go to for plants was always Eco Complete. Never breaks down and is a great ion exchange. That was when I had one tank. Red Flint sand is my go to now, bit more economical.

I'm coming late to this party because the title of the thread led me to think that opinions on a specific substrate ["controsoil" whatever that is (?)] were wanted and I've no idea what this "soil" is. Reading through the posts, I get a very different take, so here's my two cents.

Forget any so-called plant substrate, they are not really beneficial above inert sand or fine gravel, they have serious bacterial issues, and some are not safe for fish.

Flourite was mentioned...this is the only "plant" substrate I have ever tried, and it was not a good experience. Within a week I noticed the Corydoras panda and C. similis has no barbels, and one poor panda had even lost about a third of its lower jaw. All thanks to the roughness of Flourite; I chose this one over Eco-Complete because in my hand it did not feel rough--bad judgement. The cories recovered when moved to my tank with play sand, though the one panda remained without part of its lower jaw but was able to eat and lived some 7 years after this disastrous experience. I left the Flourite for two years, then tore the tank down and dumped the Flourite in a hole in the back garden. Same plants grew just as well with play sand for years after. Don't waste your money.

"Soi9l" as true dirt soil is obviously very messy, and cannot be disturbed, and should not be because of the significant risks of anaerobic and aerobic issues. The soil will be depleted of nutrients within the first year, so you are left with a substrate of no more benefit than sand. I don't really enjoy tearing down and rebuilding a tank every year, but that assume there is some actual value in plant growth. No one has convinced me there is. And the fish should be first, plants second. It is all well and good to say that soil is what occurs in natural habitats so it should be better than anything else, but this is not sensible thinking. The confines of an aquarium are very different from the natural world, though the same processes play out--but with often disastrous results.

Aquatic plants will grow equally well in almost any substrate except gravel that is large-grain. Sand is the best substrate for fish (with very few exceptions) and plants (with no exceptions). I'm glad I was coerced into trying sand about 10 years ago; it was one of the best decisions I ever made respecting my aquaria.

Well, as a "Fish Guru", I am surprised that you haven't heard of:

Not that it matters. You have opinions and experiences that differ from mine but, that is what this hobby is all about and I am moving on.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back