irridescent shark questions...

BIANCA

Reaction score
I bought two irridescent sharks from petco almost a year ago. At petco, they were listed as getting 8" max. I have since found out that this is wrong -_-

Mine are both about 7 inches long right now and Ive given them plenty of room to swim around so they are very happy in their tank, BUT ive been doing a little reading and every book i have says that they get very very large. I have 3 balas, and i know they will be large (14" or so) SO Ive been prepared to have large fish, but I there is no solid information about the irridescent sharks or their adult size. Every book says a different thing...one says 18" the other one says 4 feet. Some websites say 12" in captivity...others say they must have a tank that is 500 gallons minimum.

I want to know if anyone on here actually HAS THEM. How big have they gotten in your tank and how old are they? I have a big tank already, and plan on upgrading to a 170 gallon Tenecor bowfront around summer, but i just think that anything over 18" is too much for even that...and I have too many small fish :*)

BIANCA, I have 2. also an are 8" in size. I saw one last week that was at least 18" long an 3" round. :nod:
do you have them in ( BRACKISH water ) ?
'GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHIN" 8)

saltydog said:
BIANCA, I have 2. also an are 8" in size. I saw one last week that was at least 18" long an 3" round. :nod:
do you have them in ( BRACKISH water ) ?
'GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHIN" 8)
I got 1 and I bought him by mistake but I sorta like him he is 4 inches long so far and I have had him for 1 month I cant wait to see how big he really gets.

I bought one and didn't realize how big they got either. He is about 7" long now. I have been told up to 18"...and he may start eating my other fish, though he hasn't so far. Mine is a voracious eater and I am worried I will have to get rid of him. He eats all the tablets I put in the tank and I am afraid my kissing gourami is not getting enough food...the shark eats the tablets whole and pushes the gourami and my two plecos out of the way. I have a 75 gallon tank and it doesn't seem like it will be enough room for him.

Jeanne said:
I bought one and didn't realize how big they got either. He is about 7" long now. I have been told up to 18"...and he may start eating my other fish, though he hasn't so far. Mine is a voracious eater and I am worried I will have to get rid of him. He eats all the tablets I put in the tank and I am afraid my kissing gourami is not getting enough food...the shark eats the tablets whole and pushes the gourami and my two plecos out of the way. I have a 75 gallon tank and it doesn't seem like it will be enough room for him.
If yours is that bad then I think I will take mine back to the store I am not going over a 55 gallon I just cant afford it and if they are that crazy over food then they will sure eat the other fish. They are about the craziest fish I have ever saw I watch mine knock bloody places on his mouth from hitting the glass so hard if they get that big they will beat them selfs to death swimming in the tank wouldnt you think.

Sorry for my late reply. My husband was in an accident a week ago and I am now just getting a moment. I took my shark back to the store..he was way too wild for my tank...and what a pig. If I had the right accomadations for him, I would've kept him...but he needs more space and more of his own. I added some cory cats...these are really cute and swim in a comical sort of way. I also got some beautiful red/yellow fantail guppies.

What are you doing with your shark?

;)

Jeanne said:
Sorry for my late reply. My husband was in an accident a week ago and I am now just getting a moment. I took my shark back to the store..he was way too wild for my tank...and what a pig. If I had the right accomadations for him, I would've kept him...but he needs more space and more of his own. I added some cory cats...these are really cute and swim in a comical sort of way. I also got some beautiful red/yellow fantail guppies.

What are you doing with your shark?

;)
i am taking him back he is a hog and he is crazy the manager wasnt there this evening or they would have got it today I hope your husband is ok I am trying to figure out what to get probally balas more than likely but they get big to I can house them i have a 55 gallon tank. I am going to set up soon

Most reactions

Back