Invader in the Tilapia Pond

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DailyLunatic

Reaction score
I think a catfish has snuck into the Tilapia Pond. Possibly with the fingerlings, but there is a 'walking' catfish here. that 'could' have snuck in anytime in the last few months.

I can't see it too clearly, but based on the mouth and barbels, during feeding, I would guess it to be about twice to three times the size of the fingerlings released into the pond just 14 days ago.

How much of an issue is this likely to be? Should I get the cast net out?

-sterling

if it's 3 times the size of the fingerlings, it is big enough to eat them. If it's well fed, it will be less likely to hunt for food but there's no guarantee with catfish that have big mouths.

if it's 3 times the size of the fingerlings, it is big enough to eat them. If it's well fed, it will be less likely to hunt for food but there's no guarantee with catfish that have big mouths.

Thanks. Apparently, this is an issue here. Been doing a bit of research since posting. No clear pics, and only very brief glimpses in the milky water during feeding.

Fish appearance is like "Hemibagrus wyckioides - Asian Redtail Catfish". The Thai name Pla Kot Haang Daeng translates unsurprisingly to "Red Tail Catfish". Which, as far as I know, is not one of the 'walking' variety. Guestimation on size would be about 50%-70% of pic. So, I am uncertain how it got in there. Main diet is Crustaceans, Mollusks, & Fish, (mainly fish - Danger, Will Robinson!). What I'm seeing, has long barbels, and red coloring to the almost wing like fins.
images

=====
The stated culprit by the sister-in-law is, "Clarias batrachus - Walking Catfish". The Thai name Pla Duk Dam translates to “dull colored wriggling-fish”. Main diet is: Crustaceans, mollusks, fish, & aquatic weeds. They can travel quite some distance (kilometers) during the rainy season (now) through rice paddies (I'm encircled). But what I'm seeing is not dull colored. Maybe a juvenile?
Clbat_u2.jpg

=====
I've ordered a cast net. When it arrives I'll 'practice casting' with it during feeding. Maybe get a good picture of it for the group, or get a tasty treat.

So help me - first time I saw it, all I could see was mouth, teeth and barbels. I thought it was a real life Anime tentacle worm -with teeth- from the depths of another dimension. I gotta stop watching so much Hentai. lol

-sterling

Last edited:
yup probably best to remove it... if it's coming to the top to eat pellets, that might be a good time to try netting it... I pulled a snail out of my filter the other day... I guess I'm lucky, at least it wasn't something predatory

I have a local buddy, that I ordered 20 Tilapia fingerings, shipped with mine... his went into an ornamental pond in his yard... apparently the local frogs have been going in there to breed, he has been netting out a lot of tadpoles... & in so doing, has only found 2 fish left after a month... assuming when they were so small, the Frogs were eating them, as appetizers, while they were mating... his 2 fish are now in the 1.5 inch size range... should be safe from frogs, but now more appealing to the raccoons... he is hoping my breeding attempts are successful this winter, & I can give him some more to try next spring, that are too big for the frogs to eat...

Just about any catfish is predatory and will eat anything that can fit in its mouth. If you like your other fish, I'd advise removing it. On the other hand, if you want to keep it, plan on having only one fish after a while...but a pretty awesome fish, after all. Win-win!

I've been wanting a Catfish pond for a while. One Tilapia, the other Catfish, side-by-side. I'm a good 'ol country boy and love me some fried Catfish.

But if they hop ponds as well as they appear to, I may have to re-think things. Nearest pond to me is over a kilometer away.

-sterling

Taking forever for the Cast Net. Ordered, but advised it will not arrive until 8/14. Two weeks from today. :(

Did not see the catfish when feeding this morning. Usually he's at the top, 'nom', 'nom', 'noming' his way through the feed. I wasn't able to feed last evening because the rain decided to come down sideways. I'm worried he took measures into his own hands (fins?).

Question:
My sister-in-law keeps Tilapia, and when feeding them, they go nuts, thrashing up the water surface. Mine, not so much. With mine, a shadow will slowly form under a pellet, then, 'plip'. Hardly a ripple. Stealth feeding. Is that typical? Currently, I feed 3/4 cup morning and evening, and 1/2 cup at noon. 100 fish 17 days after release. I monitor after feeding to ensure all food is taken in a 15 minute time period.

-sterling

If your pellets are a little large for the fish’s size yet, maybe they are still digesting, so they aren’t “really” hungry yet… mine are a little slower on the pellets, when I’m home and they get a small scoop every 2-3 hours…
I also noticed a lot more aggressive eating, after I added an air stone to raise the water oxygen level in my center tank… if your water is still pretty white, maybe the oxygen level is a little lower than the other pond where you are witnessing more aggressive eating???

Or it could be just a visibility issue, where they can’t see the pellets as well

If your water is still milky... I would be curious why... are the other ponds of your sister in law, milky colored as well??? assuming there must be some reason why it has not settled out by now... is the soil silty & grey??? are lots of the ponds or drainage in your area milky colored ??? or where do you think the milky color is coming from???

would hate for it to be hazardous to your health, eating fish from the pond, if something not good for you was leaching into the pond

If your water is still milky... I would be curious why... are the other ponds of your sister in law, milky colored as well??? assuming there must be some reason why it has not settled out by now... is the soil silty & grey??? are lots of the ponds or drainage in your area milky colored ??? or where do you think the milky color is coming from???

would hate for it to be hazardous to your health, eating fish from the pond, if something not good for you was leaching into the pond

Yes. Milky color is common for new ponds in the area. It is ugly, and it may affect the flavor, but I'm not overly concerned with my health.

I've been reading online as to possible reasons why the water is milky white. Based on what I've read, and my observations, it is milky due to runoff and bank erosion carrying fine clay and suspending in the water column. Her ponds are less cloudy than mine, but are well established and do not erode like mine.

I'm battling with the erosion, and it is the rainy season. I am wanting to put loose burlap down on the edges, but they advise patience, and to 'seed' the edges with Lemon Grass (they say it has a good root system. Done months ago, but not helping.)

There is no well water drilled for the pond -yet- (a sore point between my Wife and I, don't ask) After digging, the ponds filled almost overnight from ground water only. Initially the water was crystal clear, with a slight blueish tint to it. (seriously looked like something from an amusement park) It stayed crystal clear until the first rain almost a week later. The water clouded overnight after the first rain. This is why I feel it is suspended clay, and not a bacteria bloom or contamination.

I have been advised by the locals that hay will clear the water. I have confirmed this online as one of the non-chemical methods. We have tossed 3 bales of 'rice hay' into each pond. (13 days ago, now) A known downside is that this will reduce the oxygen content of the water as the 'hay' decays. (Frankly, I'm more concerned with the erosion. Undercuts on the bank are making it dangerous to walk along it's edge.) So far, in these 13 days since the hay's introduction, I have 'not' noticed a decrease in the water's turbidity. Meanwhile I 'have' noticed that the fish will sit at the water's surface gasping. I don't think the hay can keep up with the suspended particles due to erosion.

In an attempt to increase oxygen levels in the water, I have ordered a couple of solar air stones for each pond. Unfortunately, from what I understand, even the slight turbulence from these stones will prevent the water from clearing.

-sterling

If fish aren't attacking the food when it's offered, check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. If any of those are off, do a big water change every day to dilute them.

Milky cloudy water is usually bad and quite often has ammonia or nitrite readings. It's normally caused by uneaten food and a filter that hasn't cycled yet and can't break down the ammonia and nitrite.

The OP has freshly dug ponds, in this case...

I've definitely noticed a difference in the Tilapias appetite, with the ( assumed ) oxygen level, in an experiment, I added an air stone to one tank, that the fish were eating noticeably slower ( assuming all the water parameters are pretty even, since the water flows from tank to tank, through a pair of 1 inch PVC pipes ) the tank with the air stone the fish are nearly jumping out of the water to get the pellets, in the one with no air stone, they eat, just not as vigorously... new air pump comes this week, then everyone gets more air :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back