Injured dannio

glolite

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Just notice a zebra dannio with a chunk of flesh missing from one side. Poor fish is swimming with a hunched back. Should I euthanise him or try melafix. :unsure:

If he is swimming and eating normally then i guess a little melafix couldn't do any harm.

Did he get bitten by another fish??? or is it an ulcer?

Thanks for the quick reply. It looks like a bite but he's only in with other dannios 4 glowlight tetras and a few baby corys and catfish. Nothing in the tank he could have injured himself on. :sad:

the other danios will attack him if they suspect ant weakness.
how big is this chunk that's missing? if it is more than 20% of the side then i'm concerned for secondary infection.

Thanks Wolf. No I reckon about 10% of one side. I'm most concerned about him swimming all hunched up. Poor fish must be in pain. :sad:

i am not an expert on danios but if it does not get better in the next few days you could try isolating the fish

Thanks, yes I have a little breeding separater that can also be used for injured/bullied fish. Might keep him a bit quieter so he can heal easier.

now when you say hunched up, does he have a kink in the spine?
this is often a sign of TB, although it could also be caused by a genetic defect.
Has it always been hunched or is this recent?

No he hasn't always been hunched up. They were a normal shoal. It's just since the 'bite' appeared. I think he's been attacked by some other fish. He doesn't have a kink in his spine but I noticed he has a lump around his belly. Have separated him into a confinement tank and he's a lot quieter.

Help he's looking worse. Like hunched and dying. Oh I hate this !

I love my dannio what can I do to help??

all you can do is daily water changes(50%) and
anti bacterial medication.
I hope all will be well.

I feared as much, :rip: danio :'(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back