i'm abolishing the stocking rule!

When I had lights on from 7am until 11pm, I had algae bloom. Now I have them on from 7 - 10am, then 5-11pm. It seems ok now, despite it is sitting on a bright spot.

The time I turn it on varies, during the week it is usually at 7:30 am, on weekends when I sleep later it is 8:30-9:00 am. I always feed my fish at 8:00 pm and turn the lights off at 9:00 pm.

Mine are on a timer: 13:00 ON til 23:00 OFF

You peeps with algae problems if you leave your lights on - GET A BRISTLENOSE PLEC!!!!!!!!!

As you may guess I have recently got them and am madly in love with them :wub: :wub: my tank was getting in a right algaeed state before but it really really really is spotless now :D I reckon the whole setup looks looks much healthier.

Of course, look at your stocking levels first :D the do poop :lol:

Erm, well your tanks arent overstocked even by the stocking calculator, at least the one i use.

Tednol said:
i have been testing the water, low nitrites low nitrates water change every two weeks everything is fine!
Low nitrites? If everything was fine you should have zero ammonia, zero nitrites and low nitrates :huh:

Still, I don't think you're overstocked and totally agree with CFC with the statement that the 1" guide is there for the newer fishkeepers.

I have my lights on 9am to 1pm, then 5pm to 10pm as I was having an algae problem and it was suggested to me that a break in the lighting allows plant growth but inhibits algae growth, but considering going back to 9am to 10pm :dunno: .

Arfie

Cavafish said:
Mine are on a timer: 13:00 ON til 23:00 OFF

You peeps with algae problems if you leave your lights on - GET A BRISTLENOSE PLEC!!!!!!!!!

As you may guess I have recently got them and am madly in love with them :wub: :wub: my tank was getting in a right algaeed state before but it really really really is spotless now :D I reckon the whole setup looks looks much healthier.

Of course, look at your stocking levels first :D the do poop :lol:
LOL... ;)

I'm laughing because the tank I had the algae bloom had bristlenose... The problem was that it was one of those free floating kind, and it was so thick, the whole tank looked like sea weed soup. Zero visibility to the back of the tank. I'm trying to imagine bristlenose trying to eat all that... :lol: (I guess that's equivalent to a human living in a house made out of bread...)

Lots of water changes and seriously cutting down on lights solved the problem, but now I know, on a non-planted tank, I will never put strong lights on for too long...

Because of my work my tanks usually go on at 8 or so and go off again at 10.30.

As for the stocking, those tanks dont look too overstocked.

Ben

I must just be lucky... I turn on at about 6:30 am before work, and then off again at 11-12 pm before bed, and no algae problems to speak of, in bare bottom or planted tanks. I do have to wipe down the glass about every two weeks or so, just to knock a lil' algae off, but nothing major. :D

Most reactions

Back