Ideas for a new tank?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

sr71pav

Reaction score
Hey all. I just discovered this site a week or so ago while doing some research for my new aquarium. I've had a 20g for almost a year now (yes, I know multiple tank syndrom, just can't help myself!) and it's gone pretty smoothly (made a few beginner mistakes w/ aggressive fish, but all in all, pretty good). So anyway, I'm planning on getting a new 90g sometime in the near future (hooray for tax refunds!) and was wondering what ideas some of you might have for such a tank. I've been leaning towards some silver dollars, gourami's, one or two pleco's depending on their adult size, and maybe a couple of balas. Any thoughts?

I'm also planning on doing some plants for it. Some of the examples I've spotted around here are just downright gorgeous!

Tahnsk for the input!

Thats a good size tank for Cichlids. You could look at some big fish like Oscar's and Green Sev's or go for a really well stocked Mbuna tank. I'm a little bit biased when it comes to Mbuna but you could set up one spectacular tank there. :D

There's a guy at work that just had a 220g tank installed at his house just for Cichlids. I think he said there'll be 15 when it's finished. I've got to get over there and check it out sometime (and of course get some pics to post back here).

IF you like silver dollars, maybe consider red hook silver dollars mixed with some regulars. Remeber though, these guys get quite large and need a group, but all types will school toghether.

I'm not quite sure about bala's, I think these guy's will get to big for a 90???

Silver dollars will mix well with South american cichlids.

You seem to like South American cichlids or South American fish. Maybe you can do a mixed South American cichlid tank, with the understanding that you'll have to do some research on each fish you plan on keeping together, for agression, potential size, etc. You can have a 1 species tank, or a multiple species tank. Both are charming to the look. Also, you can keep a single species school of Silver Dollars in your tank. Let us know what you decide.
~Taylor~

Well, the balas are already in my 20g, though not more than 2-2.5 inches so far. If they are too big, there's some LFS around here that I can probably trade them in for something. Or... there's always bigger tanks!

Easy to say when you're not the one that needs to cough up the funds! ;)

Let's assume I stick with the 90. The balas don't have to be a part of that, even if it would be nice since I know they need room to grow.

Bala's actually get on well with most Cichlids, i've even kept them in an Mbuna tank, which worked fine....they were no threat to the Mbuna. I know a lot of people have kept Bala's with Oscar's and big new world Cichlids awell so I think they could be included in your new setup. 90 gal is certainly better than the 20 gal and they grow very slowly.

Excellent!

I knew all along the 20 would be too small, but I also knew I'd have the 90 before the size got to be a problem.

I realize this is a ways off still, but where's a good place to get cichlids? Should I order them online somewhere? Or should I try to get an LFS to order them in? There's a place in Louisville that seems to have a good selection, but they seem to only sell (at least online) in groups of 6. Any ideas?

sr71pav said:
I realize this is a ways off still, but where's a good place to get cichlids? Should I order them online somewhere? Or should I try to get an LFS to order them in? There's a place in Louisville that seems to have a good selection, but they seem to only sell (at least online) in groups of 6. Any ideas?
Two of the best online places I STRONGLY consider is:
1. That Fish Place in Pennsylvania>products: www.thatfishplace.com>livestock:livefishdelivery.com
2. Drs. Foster & Smith in Wisconsin>products:drsfostersmith.com>livestock:liveaquaria.com

I hope that that helps you out!! Good luck, and let us know what you decide!!!
~Taylor~

Most reactions

Back