Ick/velvet

RockingRook

Reaction score
Hello everyone!! I am not an expert but I have dealt with fish disease before but this one has me baffled. About 2 weeks ago I noticed
some of my fish flashing and also noticed that one of my Bleeding Hearts and some of my Cardinals had white spots. I raised the temp to 82 and started treating for Ick. I used Quick Cure.
I treated for 3 days and then did a 30% water change but the infected fish did not respond at all. Uusually the spots will become less as the cysts mature and fall off the fish but in this case the white spots only increased in number. As a result all my cardinals and all but two of my Bleeding Hearts died. My Rasboras, Corys and Otos remain untouched. After about 2 weeks of elevated temp and periodic treatment with Quick Cure and also Copper Sulfate I have one Bleeding Heart that is covered in white spots, no other fish seems affected. Honestly I am waiting for that Bleeding Heart to finally die so I can get on with finishing the treatment of the tank and restocking.

This 75 gallon is about 5 years old and it is fully planted. I cannot catch and individually treat that one remaining fish that is covered in white spots, I have tried. I cannot add salt to that tank because my crypts are salt intolerant and the addition of salt, although beneficial for ick/velvet, should not be necessary with the bombardment of formalin, malachite green and copper sulfate and elevated temp. that I have been treating that tank with for the past 2 weeks. I am at a loss. I have never seen a case such as this.

I have researched the web looking for any hints but be it velvet or ick both should respond to the treatment.

The water parameters are perfect. No ammonia, nor nitrites and the nitrates remain below 10 ppm.

I have dealt with ick in the past and have used just the Quick Cure and elevated temps to kill the parasite but this case is different.

I realize that the Quick Cure says to use half dose for tetras but I started with a half dose and then a full dose. The problem is that the white spots just do not go away.
I have never ran into anything like this and cannot find any info on the web. Have you?

The most sensitive fish I have are the otos and they have not been touched by the treatment. I do not believe any fish died due to treatment but rather from the diesease itself.

What else could it possible be but ick or velvet both of which should act in a similar manner and usually respond to the same treatment.

My two remaining Bleeding Hearts, one is totally covered in white spots and one is totally clean, both will not eat. The one without any spots I am guessing will not eat because he was used to being in a school that ate together and the only other Bleeding Heart is not eating so the "clean one" is not eating as well. All other fish are doing well.

As I said it has been two weeks with no improvement at all except for the fact I havejust one fish left with spots and the others seem to be perfectly healthy.

Chuck

Most reactions

Back