Ich ???? !!!!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

LongNY

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've noticed one tiny white spec on one of my Tiger Barb's fin.... only one spec, on only one of my fish.... should I take action to treat for ICH? Should I wait? No other signs... since I'm new at this hobby, I'm not sure what else it might be.... thanks John NYC

If you have no scaless fish maybe add some salt and turn temp up abit.

Thanks for the advice... I'll try the salt and raising the water temperature.... The tank has only been "up" for a week now and I have 3 Tiger Barbs in the tank. So hopefully the salt will work.... John NYC

Hi LongNY :)

One spot does not give you enough information to make a proper diagnosis of ich. It could also be an indication that you have a bacterial infection starting. The problem with making a misdiagnosis like this is that the treatment for one calls for high temperatures and the other condition will be aggravated by high temperatures.

It would be better to act slowly and be sure before doing anything.

If it turns out to be ich, it will look like your fish, or parts of it, have been sprinkled with salt. The spots will be tiny and there are apt to be many of them. If it's bacterial infection that is starting out, it will turn into larger patches of white.

Whatever it turns out to be, be sure that you check your chemicals while cycling and do frequent water changes to bring them down, using dechlorinated water that is the same temperature as the tank water. Controlling the cycling process so that it goes slowly is much safer for the fish, and there is no real benefit to rushing through it. :D

Thanks again.... it is still only one spec on one fish fin and it's been about 18 hours.... so I think I'll wait on the medication for ICK. But tonight I'll test the water and do a water change. If it is about a bit of stress, then I'll be pleased...was getting down about a possible ick outbreak in my tank...but time will tell. John NYC

Update........It's still only one spec, but it seems to be growing, so it might be a bacterial infection from a "hurt" fin..... the others seem fine.....
Now what do I do?.....

Hi LongNY :)

Do you know that your fish has had an injury to his fin? I ask because that could indicate that yet another condition should be considered. Fungus could set in on an injury.

If this is the case, it will enlarge and become somewhat fuzzy looking. There are medications that will treat this, and often they will treat bacterial infection too. :D

Thank you everyone for all of your advice.....

I decided not to over react and last night I only did a 20% water change....
And this morning, the spec was ALMOST GONE!!! How great is that!!

My tank is only 1 week into cycling, so I'm trying not to introduce any chemicals or medications into the tank....

So I'll do more water changes every other day for the next week and hope that the tank will cycle on schedule and my 3 Tiger Barbs will be fine.

BTW.... I only have 3 Tiger Barbs in the tank and they are fine otherwise. In fact, they have a huge appetite....

Thanks again, John NYC

Most reactions

Back