Ich, what the ...

StarOrbs

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Okay as some of you know I've been treating my tank for ich for 2 weeks.. The first week my 2 firemouths, 1 pearl and 1 severum lost their white spots. Then I had to get a new medication because it wasn't working on my clown loaches. Well another week later the firemouths, severum and pearl are still clear from white spots and the clown loaches only have a couple spots left. Now I woke up this morning and my severum and pearl have 1-2 white spots on them. Now I'm pissed. I'm I ever going to be able to get rid of it? Because if the ich keeps coming back and switching from the loaches to the others and back and forth I'll never have a normal tank. HELP!

What aboout setting up a quarantine tank? I know it will tank a while but it does not have to be large and then whoever outbreaks next can go into quaratine while the healthy ones stay in the bigger tank...

I would keep the temp. higher than normal (or raise it if you haven't already) and just keep on keepin' on witht the ich treatment.

Check your water parameters often to make sure your levels are not causing any additional stress and keep doing 25% water changes to reduce the numbers of free-swimmers that are ready to infect your fish but haven't done so yet.

Sorry I can't say anything else...best of luck to you.

My water is perfect, my temperature is already at 86 and I already have a quarantine tank set up running and cycled. I suppose I could transfer them to it and keep them seperate. Also my main tank the 55 gallon would aquarium salt help at all? Would it be alright to use on 2 firemouths, 1 pearl gourami and 1 severum? I know your not suppose to use the salt with loaches in the tank. Also will the salt disappear after a while or what happens?

Yeah, no salt for those clowns. I have bengal loaches and have never used in salt with them either...I'm scared to. Some people say a half dose is okay. Others don't...very mixed reactions so I air on the side of caution.

What about moving the ones with visible spots to the quaratine tank making sure that temp is 86 and medicate them as you have been? Then keep treating them after the spots fall off for another week so that you're sure all the free swimmers are dead...THEN do a water change. Then stop medicating and see if they remain ich-less. I would assume salt would be okay for a severum and pearl gouromi but if you are worried, use a half dose instead. And about the salt in the tank, when you do your regular water changes the amount of salt will decrease...

In the mean time, keep treating your main tank for ich for a while longer to prevent the parasites from reinfecting the firemouths and loaches. I would still do some water changes on the tank to reduce the numbers of the free swimmers. Atleast with your temp being high, this should take as long because you are speeding up their life cycle...

Why does fish keeping need to be so complicated? :fun:

Best of luck to you...And keep us posted.

Yah no kidding, I only had 2-3 weeks with no problems and thats when I cycled my tank. lol :) See the problem with moving my fish to the quarantine tank is I would be moving all 3 loaches, the severum and the pearl and putting all those in a 10 gallon isn't wise. So I'm going to keep treating as usual and see what happens in a few days and see if it gets better. If it doesn't then I'll do something.

Most reactions

Back