I Think I'm Starting Off On The Wrong Foot/fish Type Question

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

stoberto

Reaction score
Hey. I am new, and have been reading. I think I'm ready to ask a question. I have had a 10 gallon aquarium for about 2 years. Unfortunately I was very uninformed and it is stocked with 2 goldfish and a Pleco. I have had no problems until now...My fish are getting too big, and one of the goldfish has been getting sick.

So I am upgrading to a 37 gallon for now. I am not attached to my Pleco and may give him to a pet store; however, I really like my goldfish.

I have three questions:

1. Can you help me with what kind of filtration I will need for these goldfish?

2. Is it not a good idea to put any tropical fish with my goldfish? Prior to reading here I wanted to put some plattys(sp?)?

3. Do you think that I will be able to maintain an 37 gallon aquarium with goldfish for a good amount of time (5 years?).

Thanks for any advice you can give...

question 1- since gold fish are known for being able to breath oxygen from the water surface a filter it not a life or death item, although not having one is very bad. a normal penguin spill filter that hangs on the side of the tank will do, you can go to any local fish/pet store and the box will say the amount of GPH (gallons per hour or GPM, gallons per minute) and what size tank it can be used for.

question 2- its not a good idea, goldfish need colder water than most tropical fish like. although the fish might do ok they will not be super healthy. the plus side of this is you will not need to buy a heater unless you live in a very cold area.

question 3- a 37 gallon tank will be plenty big to last 2 goldfish for 5 year. eventually you might need to buy a larger tank but its further down the road than you can see.

I agree with dapope on questions 2 and 3, but not on question 1. Filters are not just about oxygen, but about ammonia and nitrites- goldfish are heavy poopers, you want good filtration.

Most reactions

Back