I need some help!

kimberlypaige

Reaction score
I came home to find that my silver dollar had placed her eggs on the side of her aquarium. I ran down and bought a piece of plexy glass to seperate everyone so they would not eat the eggs- But what do I do now? At this time I have a pretty bad case of brown algae. Will this kill the eggs. I guess this is a double question. I can't get rid of the algae. I've even skimmed off the top rocks to try to get rid of this stuff. First question is what do I need to do for these eggs to hatch? Second question is how do you get rid of algae that just keeps coming back? Please can someone help! Kim

Algae is harmless to your fish. The only dangerous 'algae' is blue-green algae which is actualy cyanobacteria (sp?) and releases toxins into the water.

Brown algae can be caused by a number of things. Firstly, it is natural for a new tank to go through a phase where it has lots of brown algae. This will normal clear up or be replaced by green algae. If this doesn't happen, it means you have insufficient lighting in your tank.

The best way to reduce ANY algae though, is to decrease feeding and increase water changes. You are probably over-stocked or over-feeding at present - silver dollars are very big, messy fish. These are the kind of things you need to phocus on to permanently get rid of algae. Increasing the light would also encourage green algae to take the brown algae's place if this is something you would preffer. Adding plants - especialy fast-growing species - would help to use up the minerals the algae uses and compete with it. Eventualy, if you keep scraping algae off, the plants would take over. However, I can see how planting the tank could be a problem with silver dollars :p

To temporarily get rid of algae, scrape it off from the glass but leave the rest of the tank alone. By leaving the remaining algae, besides giving a more natural appearance, you are making it more difficult for algae to re-grow on the glass where it hinders viewing the tank.

Another option is to buy an algae-eating fish. With silver dollars, a pleco would be ideal.

Silver dollars are egg scatterers and do not place eggs onto surfaces in the tank, my first guess would be that the eggs are snail eggs though if you have substrate spawners like Cichlids in the tank it could be these.

Most reactions

Back