i have a female swordtail,

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Yes she is preggy, you should sort something out about getting a breeding tank for her, i would advice a mesh net, for they seem best suited for livebearers, i myself have a trap tank and a mesh, so that way, i put the female in the trap, let her give birth, reture her to the tank and then move the new fry into the mesh net where they can grow up... Bewarned as well, female swordtails are known for storing the males seamen, so she may not need the male again to get preggy, so she might give birth every 4 to 6 weeks... at the moment i am struggling because my female swordtail is giving birth too quickly to too many fry...

I hope i would have been some help to you there, considering i am still a newbe at this...

;)

It's right. :nod: They store packets of semen for 8 months and give birth every month or so at 78-80 F.

It's best to get a fry rearing tank, if possible. Don't move the female if she's too far along in the pregnancy. Move her a week before she's due. If you don't know when that is, let her drop and save the fry with a net or turkey baster. Record the date and there should be another batch in four weeks, so move her in three.

Most reactions

Back