How often to you clean your gravel bed?

Shadowfax

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
How often do you clean your gravel bed and do you just use a gravel hoover?

Thanks in advance

S

On the tanks that I have gravel in, I do it once a week with the water change. Seems to work well for me. :)

Once a week together with a water change on my big tank with very few plants, but very rarely on my smaller tank that is very heavily planted. I still do a weekly water change on the smaller tank, but not a gravel vac. The plants seem to like the mulch left there and I've no problem with the water quality. The tank is very heavily planted with most of the gravel covered by plants so there's not much gravel showing at all.

Have changed all my tanks to sand now, but still do it once a week when doing water changes. Never had a gravel vac, just agrivated the gravel and syphoned up the gunk. Much less hassle now I have sand as the detritus sits on top.

Jon

If my tank is still cycling is it ok to do a water change every 2 days being as i have hight ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH?

pcam86 said:
If my tank is still cycling is it ok to do a water change every 2 days being as i have hight ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH?
If you are cycling with fish, then yes, do those water changes. It may slow down the cycle, but will help reduce stress on the fish. If its a fishless cycle, then don't, wait till the ammonia and nitrIte, drop to zero, water change and add fish.

Jon

yeah i've got fish in my tank but they've also got whitespot. I figured my main priority is to get the water quality a lot better before tackling the white spot as it was the water that caused it anyway.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back