How many watts should our pond de icer be?

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
It might get colder where you are but I haven't used de-icers but I have put out an airstone to keep a section ice free. 1500 gallons is pretty large, if you wanted to keep it totally ice free would used a lot of electricity. I would likely purchase a cheap stock heater and use an airstone. B

It might get colder where you are but I haven't used de-icers but I have put out an airstone to keep a section ice free. 1500 gallons is pretty large, if you wanted to keep it totally ice free would used a lot of electricity. I would likely purchase a cheap stock heater and use an airstone. B
Iā€™m not looking to have no ice, I am looking for a small part of it not to have ice, for gas exchange.
Thank you. I think I will go with the Tetra De Icer. Even know it is rated for up to 300 gallons, I think that with the water fall in action and the fact that we donā€™t get TOO cold here Itā€™ll be good. Thoughts? I am not looking for it to heat the pond, just keep a small hole in the ice. The temps typically drop to 14F in the night in the winter. The tetra de icer says it works in -20F

Iā€™m not looking to have no ice, I am looking for a small part of it not to have ice, for gas exchange.

Thank you. I think I will go with the Tetra De Icer. Even know it is rated for up to 300 gallons, I think that with the water fall in action and the fact that we donā€™t get TOO cold here Itā€™ll be good. Thoughts? I am not looking for it to heat the pond, just keep a small hole in the ice. The temps typically drop to 14F in the night in the winter. The tetra de icer says it works in -20F
I don't have a pond, and it rarely freezes here...sorry

I have a cattle trough 200gal with minnows waterlilies and floating sundews alive using only an air pump, for two weeks of -15 C weather (cold for here). If the fish are cold tolerant then you are really only looking at providing O2 under the ice, so I suspect a 300 watt heater will do the trick. If you do use an air pump as well it is generally not a good idea to put it right at the bottom but more mid level, You really don't want to disturb the bottom where the water will be slightly warmer. Air and heating would likely help a lot. If you use air note that in cold weather the pumps don't work as well and that condensation in the air hose can plug the line so a heater might be best.

I have a cattle trough 200gal with minnows waterlilies and floating sundews alive using only an air pump, for two weeks of -15 C weather (cold for here). If the fish are cold tolerant then you are really only looking at providing O2 under the ice, so I suspect a 300 watt heater will do the trick. If you do use an air pump as well it is generally not a good idea to put it right at the bottom but more mid level, You really don't want to disturb the bottom where the water will be slightly warmer. Air and heating would likely help a lot. If you use air note that in cold weather the pumps don't work as well and that condensation in the air hose can plug the line so a heater might be best.
Ok, thank you. I can look into an air pump. Not sure if weā€™ve got enough outlets for the filter pump, de icer, and air pump but I can see!

Most reactions

Back